cglaeser

Avigilon license plate recognition

We have an Avigilon system at our neighborhood clubhouse that includes Avigilon cameras and Messoa LPR cameras. The system is used to read license plates, but currently the system does not perform automated license plate recognition. What are the options for integrating license plate recognition with an Avigilon system? Desirable features include 1) record all the license plates to a text file with time stamp, 2) issue an alert if a license plate is on a list (e.g. a suspect burglary vehicle returns at a future date), and 3) issue an alert if a license plate is not on a list (e.g. it's 2 am and a vehicle entered that is not known to be a resident).

Downloading the plug-in is free, but the license to use it along with the dongle that comes with that is not and it's not cheap.

For one camera it might not be worth the price to you. Also, avigilon does not natively support messoa so, hope it's an onvif camera and

motion detection then may or may not work. Also, depending on the car speeds the processing power needed in your pc might need to be increased.

I can image the price is not cheap, but for a community, not a bad investment. For example, Milestone LPR is $1,299 list price per camera + $299 for each license region (USA is one region) per server + the NVR camera license costs. I would imagine that Avigilon is more expensive.

We actually have the opposite problem as Avigilon is just an ONVIF camera with Milestone. It works for LPR, but we can't figure out how to trigger alarm out.

Also, avigilon does not natively support messoa so, hope it's an onvif camera and motion detection then may or may not work.

The plan is to swap the Messoa with an Avigilon 8 PM Pro with 70-200 mm Canon zoom.

Also, depending on the car speeds the processing power needed in your pc might need to be increased.

Is it car speed or number of cars per minute? Car speed happens to be low, and the number of cars per minute is about eight at morning rush.

8MP pro is not a good idea for ALPR

I recommend you talk with your Avigilon dealer...They should be able to design the right setup for you.

Edited by Guest

The plan is to swap the Messoa with an Avigilon 8 PM Pro with 70-200 mm Canon zoom.

I believe their LPR camera is cheaper than that and includes the IR.

I need to read plates at 190 feet. The site currently has two Avigilon 5MP 9-22 mm and Alex suggested I test the current setup with a high power narrow beam IR. Will give that a try.

8MP pro is not a good idea for ALPR

Good to know.

I recommend you talk with your Avigilon dealer...l they should be able to design the right setup for you.

I have a good Avigilon installer but the rep quit over a year ago and I'm not sure if they found a replacement. Will ask.

I believe their LPR camera is cheaper than that and includes the IR.

I need to read plates at 190 feet. The site currently has two Avigilon 5MP 9-22 mm and Alex suggested I test the current setup with a high power narrow beam IR. Will give that a try.

I did a 180' shot with the 2mp box that comes with the 4.7-84.6 mm lens (2.0-H3-B1). It's spot on in the day time, but it's useless at night.

We use an Avigilon 9-22mm and works great at 30-35' but that's the limit. You have to get an image where the plate is at least 4% of the image for LPR to work. Just because you can read the plate does not mean the software will. We reached the limit of a 5-50mm lens at 70-80' at another location. My guess is you'll need some badass telephoto lens and then the problem will be atmospheric distortion and reading plates that far may not work well. You should consider moving the capture closer to the camera, either by capturing the cars closer as they pass the camera or moving the camera to a better location. Also, most software wants D1 resolution for LPR, but check the manual for the LPR plug-in. So having a 8MP Avigilon won't help. Does it have to be Avigilon, will Bosch or Axis work with their software?

My guess is you'll need some badass telephoto lens and then the problem will be atmospheric distortion and reading plates that far may not work well.

We did that with the 8MP Pro and the 70-200 Cannon Lens.

Just the heat rise off the asphalt would screw up the image.

We did that with the 8MP Pro and the 70-200 Cannon Lens.

Just the heat rise off the asphalt would screw up the image.

Do you have sample images?

We use an Avigilon 9-22mm and works great at 30-35' but that's the limit. You have to get an image where the plate is at least 4% of the image for LPR to work. Just because you can read the plate does not mean the software will. We reached the limit of a 5-50mm lens at 70-80' at another location. My guess is you'll need some badass telephoto lens and then the problem will be atmospheric distortion and reading plates that far may not work well. You should consider moving the capture closer to the camera, either by capturing the cars closer as they pass the camera or moving the camera to a better location. Also, most software wants D1 resolution for LPR, but check the manual for the LPR plug-in. So having a 8MP Avigilon won't help. Does it have to be Avigilon, will Bosch or Axis work with their software?

Have a look Avigilon 9-22 mm bullet with extra IR at 190 feet

2050225220_Plates_190feet.thumb.jpg.5e3c1402fcb7e35ec9a4b6e52e78aae2.jpg

Alex, I get similar results on my two Avigilon 9-22 mm bullets about 50% of the time with modest IR. I think if I follow your suggestion and try a more powerful narrow beam IR, the results will improve dramatically.

Alex, I get similar results on my two Avigilon 9-22 mm bullets about 50% of the time with modest IR. I think if I follow your suggestion and try a more powerful narrow beam IR, the results will improve dramatically.

You will

Good luck

Good luck

On a related topic, I notice the license plates on your server automatically change exposure when you zoom in. I have to change the sliders on the display settings on my server to enhance the license plate. What am I missing?

Just some added info here -

Avigilon's LPR plug-in requires certain mounting heights based on distance as well as certain offset angles like no more then an offset of say 17ft with a 50ft distance to target. Also, the recommended processing requirements are no more then 4 LPR lanes per quad-core processor with cars traveling under 20mph or say

2 lanes with cars going 20-30mph and last but not least you will not be able to look for more then three states at a time. There is a whole design and install guide available for the solution.

If you are looking for something to do all 50 states, processor efficient, mounted car lpr, Law enforcement database access, detailed alerting, snapshot image reading vs. optical plate font reading then i'd recommend you look at Platesmart.com. The software works really nice, doesn't have to have the perfect image, they use avigilon cameras with their software and it can integrate with avigilon using the point of sale license along with a 3rd party license from Gulfcoast software.

Edited by Guest

If you are looking for something to do all 50 states, processor efficient, mounted car lpr, Law enforcement database access, detailed alerting, snapshot image reading vs. optical plate font reading then i'd recommend you look at Platesmart.com. The software works really nice, doesn't have to have the perfect image, they use avigilon cameras with their software and it can integrate with avigilon using the point of sale license.

Thanks for the follow up, Eric!

If you are looking for something to do all 50 states, processor efficient, mounted car lpr, Law enforcement database access, detailed alerting, snapshot image reading vs. optical plate font reading then i'd recommend you look at Platesmart.com. The software works really nice, doesn't have to have the perfect image, they use avigilon cameras with their software and it can integrate with avigilon using the point of sale license along with a 3rd party license from Gulfcoast software.

What does it cost per camera? What's the specs for plate capture, like frame rate, resolution, plate number pixel height?

Has anyone tried the very, very cheap iSpyConnect LPR solution for $50?