cglaeser

Avigilon license plate recognition

Finally got our Milestone LPR working with an Avigilon vandal dome. Doing pretty well, high recognition rate at about 35' with their 9-22mm lens set to 22mm. It's triggering gates to open on a plate match. My guess is we could have gone about 5' further if we had to with this camera. The trick with this camera is to set it to MJPEG. For some unexplainable reason, it did really bad with it set to H.264.

The trick with this camera is to set it to MJPEG. For some unexplainable reason, it did really bad with it set to H.264.
That makes sense, the LPR needs a full image to process, and only the "I" frames in H.264 are a full image, the others are interpolated data. The dedicated LPR cameras from Avigilon run the JPEG2000 codec, so they have full frame images to work with, also.

Maybe so but it works fine with Axis Q1604 in H.264 mode, so odd.

The weird behavior with Avigilon with h.264 is I only get 1 fps when I set the camera to 5 fps and when it does capture a plate, the LPR time can be 30 to 90 seconds off from the timestamp from Milestone for the video. Changing it to MJPEG made it the correct frame rate and the video time and lpr time where the same.

The other weird thing that Avigilon does it give you odd resolution choices, no D1, no VGA, just some odd numbers, maybe the Canadian exchange rate for U.S. bits.

I had a 30 minute visit with the parking services people at one of the Universities I do service work at.

They cruse the parking lots with a Auto vu system with the Sharp X cameras. I asked them if they had any trouble with plates that had red letters. Alabama Disabled Vets and Volunteer Fire Fighters tags are red letters. They said absolutely not.

They said the have more trouble with Florida and Georgia Tags with the Peach or the Orange in the middle giving them bogus numbers.

PR_Large.jpg

265585_1.jpg

265585_2.jpg

They have problems with the University Tags like this picking up the additional letters.

265585_3.jpg

265585_4.jpg

265585_5.jpg

They said the have more trouble with Florida and Georgia Tags with the Peach or the Orange in the middle giving them bogus numbers.

I've never understood why states print artwork to obscure license plates. Why require license plates if you don't intend to read them?

And btw that camera is about 2500.00

I saw a grey market price of $1,600 and guessed the installer's price would be in the $2,500 range. I'll take two if they will work with our Avigilon server.

And btw that camera is about 2500.00

I saw a grey market price of $1,600 and guessed the installer's price would be in the $2,500 range. I'll take two if they will work with our Avigilon server.

Not unless you use the analog out and connect it to an encoder.

Not unless you use the analog out and connect it to an encoder.

I already have two analog Messoa SCR515PRO LPR cameras connected to an Avigilon encoder. Not only would it be a shame to use the analog output of a 2MP LPR camera, I already know from the performance of the 515 that analog is not sufficient to support ANPR given the width of the lanes at my site. If Avigilon can't support the Messoa LPR615, that would likely be a deal breaker.

Best,

Christopher

I had a 30 minute visit with the parking services people at one of the Universities I do service work at.

They cruse the parking lots with a Auto vu system with the Sharp X cameras. I asked them if they had any trouble with plates that had red letters. Alabama Disabled Vets and Volunteer Fire Fighters tags are red letters. They said absolutely not.

Sure, because it's not an IR sensitive camera, so I would expect it to read red. It's all the IR sensitive cameras that have issues with red. Also, when they cruise the lot, I'm wondering if there's a search light or head light that shines on the plate or just light from the camera itself.

Just the IR from the camera.

They are doing both sides at the same time.

They are doing it by zones. If the car isn't registered for that zone it pops.

If they don't pay their ticket then it will pop for that and then it gets booted.

Hello, can I offer free or trial software for number plate recognition - www.videoanalitika.lt

I have a collectible license plate store (website) and I have a hard time understanding how license plate recognition systems are able to accurately identify specific U.S. specialty license plates with the different fonts and designs. States like Florida have 125 different types and if you have a community in Texas, would the equipment identify the plate is from Florida? In Texas, they have a built in bar code but people cover this up with a license plate frame so this would seem to defeat the device? You can see examples of some of the different types, styles, designs at http://www.shoplicenseplates.com - it will show the new Texas bar codes for example.