Sign in to follow this  
Logan005

Not new to home CCTV, but new to HD-CCTV or HD-SDI and IP

Just wanted to say Hi to the group and give a little info on my situation. I have a home wired with rg59 Siamese and cat5, we have about a dozen cameras that came with the system plus some hidden cameras I have installed. I have never been happy with standard CCTV cameras, even 1000TVL cameras end up letting me down. I have decided to upgrade a few of the cameras to either or IP or HD-SDI cameras, for am improvement in quality for some particular viewing angles. I was looking at a Samsung DVR when I found an Off Brand, Hybryd unit that claims to display 4 SDI plus 2 IP cameras in a 1,-4 or 6 screen display, I have to install my own sata HD, but it has all the needed video and audio outputs, for my CATV whole house distribution system. I never liked having 16 cameras all on the same DVR so I plan to slowly upgrade to use multiable DVR's. I hope I don't regret not buying the samsung. most of my rg59 runs are 100' or less 2 of my rg59 runs are about 150' any concerns running SDI on that length of rg59? I understand SDI since it's BNC, However IP cameras IDK. I was thinking 2 nice PTZ's but want to know more before I buy., Most of my security is powered directly from battery on 48volt mains maintained by rooftop solar. any personal experience is always appreciated. Thanks in advance Jim S..

Well, your first problem is the fact that Samsung either already got, or are in the process of getting out of the CCTV business. So warranty claims will probably become a challenge down the road. As per your situation, look into HD-CVI cameras if costs are a concern, or IP Megapixel if you are looking for maximum image size and quality. There are a couple of manufacturers that are Tribyrd units, which will take Analog, IP, and CVI-SDI (depending on model) all in one unit. As per your idea of having multiple DVR's? well, if you can get it, then it should not be a problem.

Thank You secplus: That's good because I already decided against the Samsung choosing instead the 4 SDI plus 2 IP, off brand Chinese model. what are the benefits of CVI over SDI? I am still waiting on the SDI equipment I also ordered an SDI field monitor, so I am super excited. I have a Medium budget so any mistakes won't hurt too bad. Quality if the utmost of importance. I am also interested in LPR, I live on the river and some houses have been broken into from the waterside (Back) I was curious if LPR could also recognize boat letters? Can a PTZ w/tracking dome camera also do LPR? on my front side I have 2 mini cameras located inside the driveway post, one wide and one telephoto looking half way down the street, most LPR cameras will not fit, what makes an LPR camera special?

instead of the ptz (the price for the ptz is high) get fixed cameras and cover the angles you need. ptz sounds fancy but it's not very practically. also I would suggest hd-cvi, basically hd-cvi and hd-sdi are the same things, HD over coax. my personal opinion is that the hdcvi quality is better, but that's personal.

you can go for a tribid dvr, which means you can cover some areas with IP cameras, other with hd-cvi and/or analog. I've worked only with dahua tribid actually and it's very reliable. the other brands should be ok too. for tribid I've only tested out dahua. the price is acceptable too.

Thanks for the input Karma, I have also thought the same for the front but the waterside is a bit different so I think a PTZ is in order. The DVR actually came in today, Shipped from PA. instead of China so only took 2 days to ship, I was lucky to have an old Tarra-byte HDD that works perfectly. but no video since no SDI cameras have arrived. I like the multi screen on this unit, it shows all 6 cameras with one highlighted. or quad and single view, very nice for in-house distribution. So I went with an SDI + IP dvr and that's what I am working with for now. But I have some questions. will a CVI camera work on an SDI DVR? seems like there is more selection of SDI cameras than CVI on Flea-bay, I also notice more 720 than 1080 cameras listed as CVI. I am hopeful one of the SDI cameras comes tomorrow so I can test it and plan the rewire of my cabinet.

Update: I received a mini SDI camera Friday, but the coax to the mmcx connector was damaged so I was only to get it to work intermittently, I am not as good soldering these days and don't have mmcx supplies on hand, so will have to wait on parts and work with the other SDI camera that arrives tomorrow. I have spent the past month studying up and I think I am headed in the correct direction for my needs. but any and all input is much greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Jim...

so the second camera came in today, hooked up looks good on the VGA connector, but not the channel plus modulated channels. I know it's not going to look as good, but it looks worse than any of my standard video channels. going to switch to the HDMI connection for local viewing, but that will not affect my modulated channels, they are over exposed and wash. How easy is it to do LPR with these SDI cameras, the image I obtained seems of quality enough to see the license or boat letters. does the camera have to be special?

Maybe I am posting in the incorrect Forum? not much interaction here. Have I done something wrong? I have ask some questions and have many more to ask for advice, but few answer here. I guess I am on my own? I will try to open another thread. Thanks to those who did reply.

so I have learned a lot over the past few weeks, mostly on my own. very happy with the SDI cameras and the 6 channel hybird DVR, I ended up getting a MicroMod modulator from PVI. this one is on trial, but I love the hell out of it, so I have agreed with PVI to purchase 3 total at a very good price. so now I just need one more DVR to populate the 2nd modulated channel and the 3rd will be for my direct TV HD box. So I still need to purchase another HD DVR so I am trying to find something similar to first one, but with different IR remote signals so I can control both on the same IR repeater system. Any and all information on personal experiences is greatly appreciated.