Sign in to follow this  
theTastyCat

How to use hardware motion detect w/Hiks and Genius Vision?

Hey all - I'm setting up to use 6 or 8 Hikvision 3MP turret cams with an old PC I've made into an NVR. Hikvision's iVMS-4200 software, just with two cams running, was regularly running at 100% CPU usage. I've been playing with Genius Vision, and CPU usage for two cams is now 40-50%, which is great.

However, methinks I might be able to get it down even further if I can just use the cams' built-in motion detection rather than having to do it through the software; I believe I have the cams configured correctly for motion, but how do I get Genius Vision to recognize this? I'd never figure this out in a million years - many thanks for any help!

Another reason I'm looking to get CPU usage down (in addition to only having 1/4 of the cams running at the moment) is that I've got the NVR and POE switches on UPSes so that the system will continue to run for a bit in the event of a power outage, and every bit I can bring the CPU usage down translates into longer runtime.

Many, many thanks, all!!

Lo and behold - I was able to answer my own question!

In Genius Vision:

Go to Camera Setup for the individual cam

then Video Setup

then the Advanced tab

then check Event.Template

and select ET01.

ET01 worked for me and my Hik 3332s, but different cams may need a different value.

Then be sure to disable all software motion detection as well as Camera Setup/Video Setup/Record tab, uncheck VideoDetect.

My CPU is hanging out around 40% now - much better!