kdreger

Intranet System for Security Gate needed

As a gated community we are in the need and replacement (Stolen) of a new CCTV Closed system that operates at our front gate area in the community. We DON'T have Internet here in the middle of BFE and need to run 6-8 cameras within a 100' radius to cover traffic and cover the gate entrance. We HAD 4 closed system hard wired cameras as of last week (Now Stolen)! And want to figure out a way to replace them. We are looking at maybe Wireless ones but these will need power sources in areas where we don't have a lot of power. Our best option is to pole mount several of these on either side of the gates in forward & reverse looking directions to cover the areas.

So, what I would like to ask is:

1. Can I take a router and set it up as a LAN (Intranet) router only to ONLY talk to the IP Cameras we may purchase?

2. What would be a good DVR system that can withstand the TEXAS Heat & Cold enclosed in a 6x6x6 wooden storage area that can support 8 cameras and a week of storage incase we need it.

In the future we are planning on a community Fiber backbone to this area so we would like to have that option down the road in a year or two to connect them all to this new community fiber network...

Thanks in advance for any responses and will be happy to add in additional information if needed....

Respectfully,

Ken

1. Yes and it is pretty simple to do

2. I'm not sure what part of Texas you are in but you might want to find another place to put it that is climate controlled if you are going to invest the money in a cctv system.

Thanks for the reply, we will look into a climate controlled area, here in Central Texas, North of Austin we get temps from 29-105! That is just TEXAS Hill Country for ya....

Thanks for the reply, we will look into a climate controlled area, here in Central Texas, North of Austin we get temps from 29-105! That is just TEXAS Hill Country for ya....

Do you have a security booth? Those high temps will wreak havoc on the hard drive.

As far as wireless, I never recommend them but they do work for some customers.

What is your budget? Are you able to run cabling to your desired camera locations? Who is doing the install?

We don't have a security booth, so we will have to look into some sort of compartment heat & AC system for this when replaced. Budget is prob around $5-8k for replacement cams, equipment and setup. We do have 2 cams that were not stolen that are currently working. The problem here is the area where the cams are is just like solid ROCK! As is much of Hill country, lots and lots of Limestone rock....not much dirt...We can trench with a BIG Rock cutting machine and lay conduit for lines and power if needed. We will prop hire that part out since we are just old farts...

Edited by Guest

We don't have a security booth, so we will have to look into some sort of compartment heat & AC system for this when replaced. Budget is prob around $5-8k for replacement cams, equipment and setup. We do have 2 cams that were not stolen that are currently working. The problem here is the area where the cams are is just like solid ROCK! As is much of Hill country, lots and lots of Limestone rock....not much dirt...

Drilling through rock isn't a big deal with the right equipment lol.

Finally, someone with a realistic budget around here. If you decide to go with an IP system, I would go with either Hikvision or Dahua 8 channel NVR with built in PoE ports. These things are 95% plug and play. I am beginning to like Hikvision more and more simply because they are flooding the market with decently priced equipment and good tech support.

I've seen this site recommended on here before but I've never used something like this myself: http://www.mierproducts.com/outdoor_temperature-controlled_enclosures.html

This might be able to solve your heat problem with the NVR. The downside is that they're apparently very expensive.

Interesting items, not sure if this is the way we may want to go yet, but thanks for showing them to me.