Leftyguitars

How do I hard wire from DVR to laptop?

Hi, I have an existing 'cameras wired to dvr' system with an ethernet wire from the dvr to my wireless router which I can monitor wirelessly on my laptop. This system works fine, well sort of fine. I have changed my broadband supplier to BT and have a new BT router. However at some point around this time (I can't say if it was exactly the same time or sometime afterwards) all of my cameras suddenly became very pixelated on the laptop (the are still clear on a TV which is connected directly to the DVR).

I have two questions.

1, Can anyone think of any reason why the pictures are so pixelated now when they were fine before? Might it be a compression issue? I haven't altered any settings on the DVR or laptop, in fact I don't even know if there are any settings to alter.

2, Can I hard wire from the DVR to my laptop using an ethernet cable, USB cable or whatever? And if so how do I get my existing monitoring program to recognise the wired connection or do I need to find and install a new program to do this?

I am using NetDvr on my laptop (which came with the DVR). The DVR is a Sanan model SA-2110B

you should be able to connect your laptop direct to the dvr with a network cable, you will need to set the laptop ip address to the same range as the dvr and set the subnet to 255.255.255.0

so if your dvr is set as 192.168.0.10 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 then you set your laptop up as 192.168.0.??? with a mask of 255.255.255.0 and you should be able to connect via the web browser or software for dvr viewing. ??? can be 1 to 254 but not the same as your DVR

google info on how to set your laptop to a static ip address if you don't know how, its slightly different for the different versions of windows- assuming its a windows laptop.

Yes, fine to connect directly with a network cable. I did just that recently with a desktop PC. Also I was able to access with IE11 browser after typing in the DVR IP address then installing activeX control when prompted. Optionally I had the DVR software installed and was able to connect that way as well.

Don't know about the pixelation though I'd reboot the DVR and have mine set to do just that every week.

Hope this works out for you, good luck.

This sounds like the wifi in the BT isn't as good as what you had. My guess would be if you ran a cable to the laptop, everything would be fine again.

This sounds like the wifi in the BT isn't as good as what you had. My guess would be if you ran a cable to the laptop, everything would be fine again.

Hi Samir, thanks for your reply. That is exactly what I'm trying to do. I have plugged an ethernet cable from the DVR to the laptop but I don't know where to find the DVR on my laptop. Do I have to disable the DVR wifi on my local network for it to work by cable or am I doing something totally wrong? Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Samir, thanks for your reply. That is exactly what I'm trying to do. I have plugged an ethernet cable from the DVR to the laptop but I don't know where to find the DVR on my laptop. Do I have to disable the DVR wifi on my local network for it to work by cable or am I doing something totally wrong? Thanks in anticipation.

Yes, try disabling the wifi. I know I have to do that on my laptop for windows to use the wired line.