oderus1671

power supply question

I have a VideoSecu 9 port power supply, and it only provides .55 amps per channel. Can I combine 2 channels to increase the amperage? Reason for asking is I just purchased 2 Hikvision DS-2CE16C2N-IT3 analogs, and when the Ir kicks on, it turns off and on, Im assuming the power supply cant handle the IRs. I plugged them into my old single power supply rated for 5 amps and they worked fine. Its not a very good power supply, so i dont want to continue using it too long.

Also, I am looking to clean up the images, they are extremely jagged and 'rough' for a 720tvl camera. They are on older but good siamese coax. Im hoping giving the cameras more juice will help. Thanks!

looking at the spec of the camera it uses max of 5w and its a 12v dc camera. the calculation for the current is:

current = power divided by volts, so current is 5/12 = 0.416amps so if your supply is good then 0.55 amp should be enough for the camera. have you measured the actual voltage present at the camera when the lights kick in, if it drops down to 10 v or so it could be down to small wire size and voltage drop across your supply cable.

thanks jazzar, I don't have any way to measure voltage at the camera, but I will say the DC male end pigtails I got for the power supply did seem a bit thin. (no real specs on the gauge wire when purchased.) they seem like they may be 24 gauge. The DC line on my cables going to the cams are 18/2. Could it be the pigtails choking out power to the camera and not the power supply itself? The cables going to the cameras are 100' siamese. Thanks!

The short length of those pigtails isn't really going to have any any effect on the overall voltage drop. Yes you can multiple up the outputs & that should be mentioned in the power supply specs. The jagged outlines on your picture ( and the rainbow type colour patterns ) is a result of a low quality image sensor.