thewireguys

Canon plans to purchase Axis

I read this earlier: http://www.wsj.com/articles/canon-to-buy-swedens-axis-for-2-8-billion-1423554729

From the sounds of it, it will remain fairly segregated. I don't think Canon plans to meddle too much.

Also, I wasn't aware that Canon and Axis had an established history.

If Canon doesn't combine Axis and Milestone this will go down as the worst business decision ever. Avigilon has been so successful because they make more money per channel. Compared to just selling cameras or VMS licenses

It seems that the customers who want the top of the line stuff are larger corporate companies or healthcare org. THey want stuff that works and in a lot of cases is a add on to brands they all ready have. So a little savings on a camera or system that is difficult to work with or requires translation in order to work or has to be replaced often does not even enter into consideration. Myself I would rather work with this type of customer as they are demanding but they also know you get what you pay for. We have done the small installs and it seems we spend more time and warranty work on a 4 camera install that a 20 camera Axis intstall. Plus all things considered I would rather mark up a 1000.00 camera than a 100.00 camera.

Unless Canon changes the business plan of Axis where I buy a camera from my distributor for $505.00 and my customer can but the same camera for $515.00 online I don't see where I will jump into the Canon/Axis/Milestone arena.

I am interested to see a "Axi-Stone" solution where the cameras are fully integrated with Milestone's VMS like Avigilon has with their cameras.

Everyone was bashing Avigilon's model and now everyone's copying it.

Unless Canon changes the business plan of Axis where I buy a camera from my distributor for $505.00 and my customer can but the same camera for $515.00 online I don't see where I will jump into the Canon/Axis/Milestone arena.

You have to get partnership agreements and axis certifications to get the lower prices wholesale. Also, different distributors charge different prices. Can't say for sure, but my guess is that some online stores may be getting Axis from other markets with lower prices, like gray market cameras from Asian markets. Because showing discounted prices online is against their partnership agreement, without that agreement, they would not be able to have competitive pricing.

Milestone is actually very upfront and controls their pricing very well where the more you sell per year, the bigger the discount.

The smaller Amazon store operations generally commit to a fixed profit system regardless of the item. Making $5-$10 on something that costs $500 isn't a big deal when you consider how many people will buy it at that reduced price. These "companies" are 1-2 employees deep with practically zero overhead, especially when you consider they're just drop shipping their whole catalog. They can easily afford to price chop. They can also take advantage of the growing number of people who only shop on Amazon.

There's no point of trying to compete with Amazon, eBay, or Aliexpress unless you're selling on one of those platforms. The markets are separate even though it's the same industry. HD Security Store would be a good example of this. They do great on Amazon with their low prices and targeted keywords, but their own eCommerce site does terrible in comparison to any other eCommerce store even though they have an established name in the Amazon market. Getting a quote from an installer and comparing that to Amazon pricing puts installers in the same situation.

How many times has everyone heard something to the tune of, "How come you're selling me this camera for more than they are?" It should be easy enough by now to list the reason you're all better than an Amazon seller; customer support, warranties, fast and effective communication, AN ACTUAL WORKING KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT YOU'RE SELLING THEM, etc...

Actually what happens is people will apply for project pricing for Axis and order extra cameras then they dump them on the internet for cheap.

Edited by Guest

Actually what happens is people will apply for project pricing for Axis and order extra cameras then they will dump them on the internet for cheap.

"will dump" is past

"dump" is present

We have a customer that is an end user and is a certified Axis Partner.

It's amazing what you can get accomplished when you make an initial order of 1100 cameras.

Mostly 3367VE and about 400 Q6032

It's amazing what you can get accomplished when you make an initial order of 1100 cameras.

Axis sells direct say it ain't so

Avigilon isn't designed for 3-4 home camera systems... it's designed as a high end system for the bid spec market where you're dealing with big budgets, professional security consultants, and a large number of cameras. We've put them in prisons, government facilities, and stadiums with massive success because the VMS just... works.

With that, they only partner up with serious integrator's who have dedicated technicians, engineers, and sales people who normally work with owners and GC's on huge jobs. It means the best possible installations for them, and customers walk away happy, not some fly by night install with upset customers who can't find the people who sold them the camera and didn't properly install it. So unless you want to contact someone who's used to working on hospitals, government facilities, and the new high rises going in downtown, and ask them to sell you 3 cameras for super cheap... yea, you're going to have problems acquiring one of their systems. It's just not the market they're interested in.

Axis on the other hand, has always been a solid all around performer with cameras for just about any application and projects of any size. When you need explosion proof cameras to go on a space shuttle launch pad, they're the guys you hit up. On the same hand, if you need 500 cameras for a project and are using Genetec, Exacq, or Milestone (now milestone especially I guess...), it's also a good choice. Or if you only want 5 cameras and want to use on board recording... again, a good choice.

Not all companies are in every market. People have a tough time accepting that the consumer market is the bottom rung most companies want to avoid.

Also, Axis will change. It'll be combined with Milestone, R&D will get slashed, Cannon will do market studies and focus on the high volume cameras and cut back on the rest, they'll focus on making the cameras work with Milestone first and everyone else second... anyone who's ever worked for a large conglomerate knows how it works. This all takes time though, it'll be the same company tomorrow... but 5 years from now? Different people will be in place with different strategies to implement. Just look at the evolution of Casi after it was sold to GE Security, and finally sold to UTC to die.

Did you do the math on that check they had to stroke?

They are up to 3000+ Axis cameras now. 25% are PTZ.

I would be happy with the install labor,cable and switches for 1100 cameras

Yea but you're also competing with the owners on site staff or preferred electrical's at that point. You're no longer an integrator, just a wire puller! No thanks.

Not having to deal with warranty and repair problems is nice, but you're really opening yourself.

Did you do the math on that check they had to stroke?

They are up to 3000+ Axis cameras now. 25% are PTZ.

I have heard from plenty of other people that if you write a big enough check Axis will sign you up as a partner. Again another reason I don't actively sell Axis camera. Also no one makes money selling Axis but Axis.

well most of my business was just wire pulling and I have to admit once a job was installed and certified I has a lot less warranty issues and trouble than we had with access control cameras etc. you are always bidding against someone either the owners internal staff or another contractor so I would still take a shot at a job like that 1100 cam one.

I would be happy with the install labor,cable and switches for 1100 cameras

All Cisco 10gig switch gear.

EMC² Isilon Back end. Petabyte of storage. On Genetec Security Center for video and Genetec Synergys Access Control.