buellwinkle

5.2.5 Chinese to English on ds-2cd2xxx cameras

If you have one of these camera with 5.2.5 in Chinese only and wish to change it to English, I have a fairly simple way and free. But before I release it to the world, I need some test subjects. The only downside is day of week remains in Chinese but frankly the date is so long I turn it off at home and customers anyway. I can probably find a fix for that if it's important, but baby steps.

The only risk is you may have to TFTP to put the camera back the way it was and I have 5.2.5 firmware if needed. It uses an old trick but I enhanced it a little.

I can likely do the same for 5.2.8 but don't have a 5.2.8 camera here, but if someone provides me access, can do it for that too.

It's not Russian it's Bulgarian!

Russian I have long been in 5.2.5, and besides, the correct translation, not the standard that is!

Only sense from the language selection, if the camera is still Chinese and day of the week in Chinese!

In addition, it is not visible 5.2.5 or 5.1.0 multilanguage ???

Sorry, they looked the same to me. What do you mean the correct translation vs. the standard? It would be technically easy to change any translation. If anyone has a language correction, I can easily incorporate it. When I have time, I will create a Pirate language choice or maybe Klingon.

And yes, baby steps, got the international menus, next step is day of week. Bulgaria was not built in a day. Besides, this is open for all to enjoy in return I invite all those who can & are willing, including you, to help contribute their skills to the cause. The goal is to just have a simple and free Windows program, you enter the camera ip address and voila, the camera is now less Chinese.

Sorry, they looked the same to me. What do you mean the correct translation vs. the standard? It would be technically easy to change any translation. If anyone has a language correction, I can easily incorporate it. When I have time, I will create a Pirate language choice or maybe Klingon.

And yes, baby steps, got the international menus, next step is day of week. Bulgaria was not built in a day. Besides, this is open for all to enjoy in return I invite all those who can & are willing, including you, to help contribute their skills to the cause. The goal is to just have a simple and free Windows program, you enter the camera ip address and voila, the camera is now less Chinese.

ru.tar.gz

Edited by Guest

Hello, you need these files to add the Russian language ru or ru.tar.gz

https://yadi.sk/d/U8prI655eg4a4

Hello, you need these files to add the Russian language ru or ru.tar.gz

https://yadi.sk/d/U8prI655eg4a4

Олег!

Ну куда там американцу русский язык?

Так он просил, пусть будет. Мне интереснее как он из под винды меняет прошивку?

У меня просто софт основной написан под винду, потому и делаю в винде без проблем!

А вот может ли он - не знаю

У меня просто софт основной написан под винду, потому и делаю в винде без проблем!

А вот может ли он - не знаю

Знакомился с вашими постами на профильных форумах, виден определённый опыт.

Многие решают одну задачу разными методами, интересно какой способ решения предложит коллега.

Многие решают одну задачу разными методами, интересно какой способ решения предложит коллега.

Esli Ya mogy Vas sprosit

Gde vu naxodites ? ( country )

spasibo

Благодарствую за отзыв!

Esli Ya mogy Vas sprosit

Gde vu naxodites ? ( country )

spasibo

Russia

OK, for those that are ready, want to try it out. This only changes the languages you can chose and the menus, does not yet change the day of week display from Chinese, so you may want to turn that off so it only displays date and time.

I've created it with all languages, but you can chose which default language you want. English, Russian and Spanish. This is the way it works.

- First create a directory on the root of your C drive, for example c:\camstuff. Then right click, select Share With and Specific people. Add everyone.

- Then go to http://networkcameracritic.com/langu...-IEfile.tar.gz and save it to the directory you created above. Substitute EN with RU or ES for Russian and Spanish.

- Then login into the camera and turn telnet on. If it's all in Chinese, after you log in, go to Configuration which is the right most tab on the top menu. Then select the 3rd menu item on the left, that's Advanced Configuration, then select the 5th menu item, that's Security, last tab on right and check the box that says telnet and ssh if you want.

- Then you telnet into the camera (I use the free PUTTY program), mount the share with a mount command with the IP address of your PC, the share name and username/password, issue df to make sure it's mounted, copy the file to /da/IEfile.tar.gz and reboot. After it comes back up, the all Chinese menus may still be there, this is browser cache, try refreshing the screen by doing a CTRL-F5

1. mount -t cifs //192.168.1.50/stuff /mnt/nfs07 -o username=you,password=yourpw

2. df

3. cp /mnt/nfs07/EN-IEfile.tar.gz /dav/IEfile.tar.gz

4. reboot

266317_1.jpg

Is it worth going through all this crap to save $20

Granted, besides IPC still remains Chinese!

Who needs a clear video that do not care about the Chinese characters in the web interface, and day of the week and can not show, but who needs something more for him is like a comb to a bald!

Is it worth going through all this crap to save $20

Says someone that saved $20 on a camera so he can pay someone else $20 to make it English, but CBX is very selective as to who he helps. I sent a few people to him for this, and some he said no to, so is that fair? Certainly not sending anyone else to him.

Help me help you do the full permanent region code fix for 5.2.5. I can post how I did it for 5.2.3 and before. Same end game as CBX, but I do it differently using ordinary tools. It's not that hard. I feel what's missing is the CRC stuff in MTD flash for 5.2.5 otherwise it looks the same.

So if there's people that want to help, I will share how the permanent region code fix is done. No whiners or complainers, just technical folks.

So if there's people that want to help, I will share how the permanent region code fix is done. No whiners or complainers, just technical folks.

Oh, no.

Not that.

Just do not reveal the most important secret otherwise your daughter company does not earn a penny more!

But the Chinese are on you will earn more because will definitely have to sell European camera !!!

Good luck in discovering the secrets, if you have !!!

As a camera critic ....... Are you not best pointing out these problems

What is the point saving $20. For a camera in the wrong region

For a camera with no warranty

And what happends to the electronic signature ??

For an extra $20 why not get 2 or 3 years warranty. Get a camera that has no regional problems and has a regional signature.

Exactly, so by exposing all their vulnerabilities, how hacking is done, I hope Hikvision will read this and shutdown back doors.

For one start by encrypting the firmware files, it's obvious they are clear text files of what's in the /dav directory, why, so someone can hack your camera by providing you firmware with back doors? So it's in everybody's best interest here if these back doors are closed.

The next thing is MTD flash, why is it open for anyone to read/write to? I showed how easy it is to do. They should lock this down and encrypt all the MTD files.

Next is telnet access. What camera company provides Telnet access to it's cameras. Yes, Axis did a long time ago and that was all over the news as people where hacking in to the cameras. They should lock this down to technology partners, not end users.

Lastly is ports, why so many ports show when I do a port scan? Are these back doors too. Should Hikvision limit what ports are open, only the ones exposed through the interface.

Hikvision is the largest camera company, why cant' they hire engineers that know what they are doing and lock up all these loopholes.

I guess if you are just fooling around with stuff for yourself the 20.00 savings might be OK but if you are reselling and the customer sees a a half Chinese info on the camera they are going to be less than impressed. If you have to stand the warranty the 20.00 looks even smaller. As stated several times before use a good vendor and you will get support and pricing will not be out of line.