Reshesnik

Found some cheapo generic 2MP cameras from China. Opinions?

Hey everyone,

Hopefully I didn't read through the rules too quickly. It's my first post!

I've ordered some well reviewed HIKVision cameras to post around the outside of my house. I've already got a machine set up as an NVR, my POE switch, etc. Now I just need to get some indoor cameras. I'm cheap, but I don't want to buy junk, so I wanted to see if anybody has had experience with cameras like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281579803853?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

All of the numbers sound great. Anyone know if these cameras are shoddy? The price seems too good to be true. Thanks so much for looking!!

Edited by Guest

probably junk...and if you are using ivms as your nvr it wont work..

I'm going to use a PC running Xprotect. I've got it running with fast storage (SSD-backed 10TB ZFS array). I'm using a Netgear ProSafe 8 port POE switch.

probably junk...and if you are using ivms as your nvr it wont work..

I'm going to use a PC running Xprotect. I've got it running with fast storage (SSD-backed 10TB ZFS array). I'm using a Netgear ProSafe 8 port POE switch.

Boogie an is 100% right complete junk.

Also it does not matter what your going to run them on ....... Like already asked ...... Are they compatable

Also says nothing about screen language

Plus see the amount of IR on the camera ...... Not good for internal

Ok, thanks! I'll wait until I can afford something a bit better.

What's recommended for indoor use? You said this has too many IR lights, so what type of camera should I be looking for? Also, should I hold out for 2 or 3 MP over the 1 MP cameras?

Personnaly I went to HIK.

Seems to be a very good compromise quality/pricing for personnal use.

I used this one : DS-2CD2432F-IW

Simply because it works with Wifi

You can move it regarding your needs (only 12v power adapter requested)

Very descreet, you can place it everywhere you want

You have buzzer when you pass behind the PIR sensor

You have audio (ok it G711s compression, similar to phone audio quality but that's enough).

It's Onvif profile S compliant and have also RTSP

etc...

So if you take care about all options embedded and the easy way to install it,

This choice is not bad.

Ok, you need $110 for it.

I'm just getting started with ip cameras, so take this accordingly. I first tried a couple cheap cameras like you posted. The video quality was very good for the money. If I was using a PC and blueiris or similar, or even a Synology or Qnap NVR software I may have kept them. The issue was the cameras had next to no firmware features working. This means I got a good video stream but that's it - my NVR solution needed to do all of the work - motion detection, emailing, alarms, etc.

Maybe that works for you, especially if you just need a couple extra cameras to cover low priority areas. One of the two I tried (Escam brand, but seemingly similar to the one you linked) had some basic onvif support and I got it setup in Blue Iris. EDIT: this is the one I tried and was marginally pleased with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L7F62WW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For me they didn't work, though. I need/want my cameras to handle motion detection and other features on the camera. The only other hardware or software I want to run is a NAS, functioning as relatively dumb networked storage for the camera. And for that Hikvision is working out nearly perfectly (I still haven't found a way to easily access video footage directly from the NAS, not going through the camera.)

If you do want to try some of these cheap cameras look on Amazon. I found them for the same as eBay price, or maybe $5 more. But you gain very good return protection.