Sign in to follow this  
brian89gp

Dahua camera cable

Does anybody know if there is an option for it or even a way to custom order a different cable for Dahua camera's? In particular the IPC-HFW4800E and IPC-HFW4300S. I'm looking for a cable that comes out of the back of the camera only 4-6", only has the ethernet plug, and does not have that large rectangular plastic box on the cable. I mount the camera's to round junction boxes and keep all of the wiring inside the box, but it is hard to do with the existing cable pigtail as it currently is.

I've never heard of alternate pigtails being available for Dahua cameras.

When you mention a "large rectangular plastic box", are you talking about the network connector being square-ish in shape, or do you actually have a PoE attachment on the pigtail that's roughly the size of a pack of gum?

This is what the cables on all my Dahua camera's look like. Base of camera to end of cable is maybe 8-12" long. I would break out the wire cutters, soldering iron, and heat shrink tubing but that is a lot of effort if there are other alternatives.

266411_1.jpg

Wait.... Is that thing the actual POE converter? They couldn't have put a 48v to 12v converter inside the camera!???!?

That piece of junk is a cheap cop out that manufacturers occasionally use. There was (maybe) a 1 month period last year where I saw those on Dahua cameras. I've never seen one on a Dahua camera since.

If it were me, I'd return them and try again. There's nothing you're going to be able to do about that thing. Where did you get the cameras from?

I'm also told that what you have is something referred to as a "v2" version and is basically just a cheaper version of the camera. Supposedly they were meant to stay in China. I guess a lot of them got spread around by sites like Amazon and Aliexpress.

Edited by Guest

Amazon. Bought several over the past 2-3 months and they have all had it. Couple different sellers too. Crap, I already threw the boxes away.

So they normally don't have that thing and whatever electronics are in it are inside the camera instead?

Amazon. Bought several over the past 2-3 months and they have all had it. Couple different sellers too. Crap, I already threw the boxes away.

So they normally don't have that thing and whatever electronics are in it are inside the camera instead?

I edited my last post and added this:

"I'm also told that what you have is something referred to as a "v2" version and is basically just a cheaper version of the camera. Supposedly they were meant to stay in China. I guess a lot of them got spread around by sites like Amazon and Aliexpress."

This is typical of Amazon sellers.

I haven't seen that square shaped network connector since they originally released the model. I don't know if they made multiple versions of it or not. I know the PoE portion of the cheaper model wasn't the only thing that made it inferior, but I can't say for sure anymore what other parts they cheaped out on.

The best advice I can give you is to find a reputable seller of Dahua products who isn't going to stick you with somewhat of a knock-off version of the product. That will likely mean moving away from Amazon type sites and paying more to guarantee you don't end up with garbage.

I agree with Don, this was a crazy idea and they nixed it, so the new cameras I've gotten from them do not have this and if they did, I would dump them on Amazon too, LOL. You should get official U.S. Dahua cameras, better support, not much more money.

You know who has a crazy idea too, Hikvision, the new ds-2cd2032f-i are coming this way. I just hope they still offer the ds-2cd2032-i as I could care less about sd card slot, but care about that insane appendage to the cable. Actually a good time to consider Dahua for their bullets without this

I could live with one like the last picture, cable is still too long but it is manageable. I have one 4800E here that has that silly POE box on the cable. I am mounting these on brick walls and really don't have much of a place to hide the excess cable length and connectors. The junction box I am having to use to hide all of that cable is larger then the 4300S itself.

Any recommendations for a official USA reseller? I'm installing a couple camera's here and there and eventually will have around 20-30 of them, thus shopping around. Amazon was the safe trial run (easy to return....if I had saved the boxes....) I have a few outstanding orders off of AliExpress, waiting on delivery so I can verify them but from the sounds of it I likely will be getting the same V2 models.

Going to break open a 4300S tonight to see if I can't hide the innards of the POE box inside the camera and have a short 2-3" pigtail of a cable coming out of the camera.

Hi. This is how your IPC-HFW4800E should look like....... Is that same as yours.

Hmm, this rg45 end looks like HIK

Hi . AK. Yes the twist waterproof .... Been getting them on both dahua and hik the last few months

Hi. This is how your IPC-HFW4800E should look like....... Is that same as yours.

Hmm, this rg45 end looks like HIK

Hi . AK. Yes the twist waterproof .... Been getting them on both dahua and hik the last few months

Do you still get the cap that twists onto the RJ45 connector with Dahua cameras? We were told by a couple different people they weren't shipping with them anymore and I haven't seen one included with a Dahua camera for about a month or so.

Seeming as how it was nearly useless without adding sealant, I'm not too upset about it. The Hikvision caps are actually effective on their own.

Seeming as how it was nearly useless without adding sealant, I'm not too upset about it. The Hikvision caps are actually effective on their own.

Yes, Agree

Hik "caps" are OK

Yes, Agree

Hik "caps" are OK

My paranoid nature still has me wanting to add sealant to them, but we submerged a few of them for 3 days and none of them failed (the connection, not the camera).

The POE box on the 4300S V2 cable has the 802.3af logic on it as well as a 12v voltage regulator. There are two feeds to the camera board, a 48v and a 12v and when plugged into a 48v passive injector both feeds are powered. The camera board runs off of the 12v feed, if I remove those two wires from the plug the camera board won't power on. No idea why the 48v feed is brought through to the camera board. Need to find a 12v power adapter and see if it energizes the 48v feed.

266449_1.jpg

Red(+) and Black(-) are the 12v, Yellow(+) and Green(-) are the 48v, and the blue/orange/purple/brown are the two data pairs.

266449_2.jpg

Has an unbranded (knockoff??) TPS2378 POE chip in it which the official version is 802.3at complaint.

I wonder if they did this to get the heat out of the camera body. Several of the older cams I've used generated the most heat from the POE board.

As for the connectors, I just got a Hik 2332 from China, which had the mating waterproof connector and no big box on the cable. Manufacture date was 1/15 on the box.

I wonder if they did this to get the heat out of the camera body. Several of the older cams I've used generated the most heat from the POE board.

As for the connectors, I just got a Hik 2332 from China, which had the mating waterproof connector and no big box on the cable. Manufacture date was 1/15 on the box.

I tend to believe the hype that it was all about making a cheaper camera. Seeing as how a lot of your cheaper IP cameras are coming with this train wreck attached to the pigtail now, I can't see them caring about longevity half as much as they care about shoveling as much product out as they can as cheaply as possible.

I'm also a "negative Nancy"

Possibly, but the 4300s is only rated as 5.5w max draw and the 4800e is 7.5w. Hard to imagine that little of potential heat would cause issues.

I have a couple different POE boards on order from China that should be small enough to fit in these 4300s that I have. Contemplating putting an EtherCon style fitting on the end of a short 6-12" pigtail.

Don Stephens said:
MaxIcon said:

I tend to believe the hype that it was all about making a cheaper camera. Seeing as how a lot of your cheaper IP cameras are coming with this train wreck attached to the pigtail now, I can't see them caring about longevity half as much as they care about shoveling as much product out as they can as cheaply as possible.

I'm also a "negative Nancy"

As sad as it is to say though, if I can get these for $80 a pop I'll probably still buy them and end up fussing around with adding a POE board, pigtail, and plug.

As sad as it is to say though, if I can get these for $80 a pop I'll probably still buy them and end up fussing around with adding a POE board, pigtail, and plug.

I think that's the boat most people are in if they're purchasing for themselves. Upsides and downsides to both.