I have a wide angle lens, 2.8mm, on a 1/3CCD chip camera and the picture looks great, but I am getting the good ol' fish eye effect. Is it possible that by switching to a larger chipset camera (1/2", 3/4" etc) or better lens that I could possibly eliminate this "fish-eye" effect?

Thanks - sorry if not posted in correct location. New user.

I would suggest getting another lens. Maybe even a varifocal to allow you more flexability. You are going to get that fish eye effect because that lens is just to small for that camera.

You would need something like a 3.6mm or 4mm just for it to look normal.

Thats a wide angle lens, if you switch to another it will simply be like using a narrower lens, so you wont see as much.

A 1/4" CCD Camera will improve the "Fish-eye look" from a 1/3"

i.e.

1/3" CCD w/ 2.8mm will give you a 81.2 degree horizontal FOV

1/4" CCD w/ 2.8mm will give you a 59.49 degree horizontal FOV

1/2" CCD w/ 2.8mm will give you a 97.63 degree horizontal FOV, but if your talking about 1/2" I dont think you can find any cameras with 1/2" CCD's that will accept a board lens.

Yeah but its not improving it as how he wants, sounds like he still wants the same FOV but without the Fisheye effect and that doesnt happen.

True, no matter what CCD size your still going to get that fish-eye look. It may look a little better between the sizes but still fishy.

A 2.8mm or 2.9mm lens on a 1/3" camera is simply classed as an ultra wide angle (equivalent to 3.6mm or 3.7mm on 1/2", or 4.8mm on 2/3").

Describing a mild case of barrel distortion is not strictly speaking a fish eye lens. If there is a significant level of distortion, then the chances are it's probably a rubbish lens.

In practice, a fish eye optic will generally give a circular image or acutely distorted near full frame image, with horizontal angle coverages normally well in excess of 140 degrees (ish)

yep, fish eye is more like 1.5mm ... was just going along with his terms ..

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Yeah I have a specific field of view, which requires the 2.8mm lens, but the customer doesn't like the curvature that it puts on the picture. I can't go to a different size lens because then my fov would be smaller and that would require me to add more cameras to cover the area. I may end up having to do this anyway. thanks again.