Sign in to follow this  
bigbroantonio

What to buy...

Hello everyone.

Along with a friend of mine, we've each decided to install a new video surveillance system in and around our homes.

Now, I'm quite "technical" myself, very much into I.T., networking etc, but I have absolutely no experience with NVRs and the likes.

We've worked out that we'll both be needing a 8ch system (to be on the "safe side" for the future). We want to install wired IP cameras, but we will both be needing wifi IP cameras for some "hard-to-reach" spots. Therefore, wifi is mandatory. We already have landline broadband with wifi routers in our homes connected to the internet.

I don't want my home wifi - the router which I use to go on the internet with, to be "overwhelmed" by the traffic generated by the wifi IP camera(s), so I wondered if these NVRs come equipped with wifi already, or if I can add a wifi router (where only the IP cameras would associate) which I would cable to the NVR.

I've drawn this up:

266828_1.png

I've seen some NVRs like this one:

266828_1.jpg

They come equipped with only one ethernet port. How can I connect it (the NVR) to the dedicated wifi router and the "home" router at the same time???

Or am I missing something? (likely!)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

If you want WIFI IP CAMS, you have 2 options that would work for you.

Option 1:

Buy a NVR with 2 Ethernet ports, will be way more expensive. (Your best Option, DS-9608NI-ST) But I highly doubt you will pay that much for it though.

Option 2:

Link the router that you want the cameras to be on, to your main one, and set the dedicated router for the cameras as a Access point with a different IP Scheme.

Main router: 192.168.1.xxx and Camera router: 192.168.2.xxx . Just make sure your Subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 to be able to access the cameras. Also i would make the NVR 192.168.1.xxx with subnet 255.255.0.0

Do you know the exact model number of the NVR that you will be getting.

Thanks for the reply

I have no idea which model to buy, actually.

I've been thinking about what you said, and the second option seems good to me. I've drawn up another "plan", adding a switch the system (can't see any other way of connecting all those cameras to one ethernet on the NVR...):

266896_1.png

Do you reckon this would work out?

You can even eliminate that switch and get a NVR that has POE ports on the back. Get an 8CH NVR with POE and plug directly into it. Hikvision is really great, i like there NVRs, simply and fast to setup and install. There cameras are great also. Like a DS-7608NI-SE/8P. You can dedicate individual ports to any IP of the camera, for the wireless cameras, you would assign that port using the cameras IP address.

Honestly i would through out that second router too, unless you want to keep it and set it up as an AP for your wifi cameras so your main router will not have to much traffic in it.

How are you getting power to the wifi cams?

If powering them isn't an issue, I assume you've given some thought about placement of AP and it's power/data needs.

i'm curious when you say hard to reach spots is the reason for wifi cameras is this indoor spots or outdoor spots and who's wifi camera you using?

Sorry for being so slow to reply - work work work! Thank you all for your interest!

When I mean "hard-to-reach" spots, I actually mean anywhere where adding extra new cables would be an issue in some way. I've worked out, however, that this won't be the case for us, therefore wifi won't be necessary. Had it been necessary, the wifi would have been provided by our own AP connected to the main router, and placed inside the building as close as possible to the one hard-to-reach spot I had in mind (which, fortunately, is not so hard to reach!).

Thanks again to everyone!

i'm curious when you say hard to reach spots is the reason for wifi cameras is this indoor spots or outdoor spots and who's wifi camera you using?

Sorry to abuse this thread (really ): ericq: I tried to answer your PM, but the forum doesn't let me, says 'too many recipients' although you are the only one. So I did read your PM and thank you for it, but I am not allowed to reply to you.