jprzybilla

Do you get a higher video quality with a TV or PC monitor?

Is it normal to receive a poor video quality using a LCD PC (4:3 ratio) monitor than analog TV (4:3 ratio)?

This is what I have experienced, I connected my CCTV camera with 900TVL directly to TV using the BNC cable, the BNC cable needed to be converted to a BNC to RCA composite plugs on the TV side. The video quality was good.

(Here I connected my camera to my DVR). For the HP monitor, I used VGA connectors on both ends, DVR to PC monitor. On the DVR, I used the 960H setting, then the D1 setting, used the DVR's lowest screen size, I believe 1048x765. No difference on either of these settings. I also hit the auto select screen size button on the PC monitor.

I didn't have the proper connectors to connect my camera direct to the PC monitor.

VGA has a more complex signal and therefore a better picture. Your TB would definately offer a better picture either using VGA directly or HDMI if available, you then select the appropriate input via the TV's remote VGA is sometimes called RGB, VGA or PC depending on your TV or if using HDMI select the appropriate HDMI input. I like using VGA in preference to HDMI for one simple reason, the VGA plug has securing screws, it's that simple. HDMI connectors have a tendency to either pull out, or break.

If your DVR just has a BNC video out then I'm afraid you have no other choice.

Is it normal to receive a poor video quality using a LCD PC (4:3 ratio) monitor than analog TV (4:3 ratio)?

Yes, it is normal. Let me explain as below.

Analog camera sends a TV signal. The signal is decoded into a digital video data, by so called video decoder, before being displayed. TV normally uses a better and expensive video decoder but DVR does not (may not able to afford a good/expensive one).

Yes, it is normal. Let me explain as below.

Analog camera sends a TV signal. The signal is decoded into a digital video data, by so called video decoder, before being displayed. TV normally uses a better and expensive video decoder but DVR does not (may not able to afford a good/expensive one).

Thank you, you answered my question.

Instead of running the video signal from the DVR directly to the TV, is it possible to run the video signal from the DVR to my DVD player/recorder that has a built in TV tuner, then to the TV, in hopes of receiving an improved video on my TV from my camera?

Do not hope such connection would create the video quality.

TV Tuner or Receiver or TV set do not improve image quality of NTSC/PAL -TV signal. It just process the signal, aiming to reproduce the original video image, as best as possible. The DVR becomes the source of original video image such connection.