skywalkerdigital

Problems screwing dome cameras to there wall brackets

any good advice appreciated !!!!

I keep having problems screwing the dome cameras onto their wall brackets!

is there any tips or tricks of the trade?

I have recently put up 2 cameras and both have threaded when putting them up! I have been wondering about Camera Extension Rings?? Will they make the process easier as the problem I am having is that the camera seems to be pressed against the wall so its a pig to tighten the surround onto the wall bracket..

cheers

any good advice appreciated !!!!

You might find the below advise condescending, but it's not. I assure you not following any one of the tips below can lead to frustration. And I think about 90% (or more) of people out there forget or don't know at least one of these tips.

Here are some basic tips for mounting almost anything to almost anything with screws:

You will need:

Screws, driver, mounting bracket, a mounting surface, patience. (an instruction manual is useful too)

Make sure you pre-drill all holes for your screws. Mark where you will drill before you drill. Make sure every hole lines up with your mounting bracket before you drill.

Make sure the screw holes are going to be the correct size (diameter and depth) for the screws. For diameter the box your screws came in may state a bit size. You could also use a hole guide (these often look like a flat sheet of metal with different size holes in it). Find the smallest hole in the guide the screw will not slip through and will thread (twist) through turning it with your fingers. The corresponding bit size should be written by that hole. If you don't have either of those, hold a drill bit over your screw, you should be able to clearly see the threads on both sides of the bit (if not the bit is too big). For depth you can hold the screw next to the drill bit, line the tip of the screw to the tip of the bit. If your drill has a depth guide, use it. If your drill has no depth guide you can use a marker and mark on the drill bit where the screw threads end, or use a small piece of masking tape wrapped around the bit. Stop drilling when the mark on the bit is flush with the wall. Make sure to the drill holes as straight as possible.

[Note: if you need to use wall plugs, do the same as above, just measure for the size of the plugs. Tap the plugs snugly, and fully into the holes. Don't mash the plugs. Once this is done you are ready for screws.]

Mistakes people commonly make with screws is not using the correct driver. Just because the driver can turn (drive) the screw doesn't mean it's the correct one. The correct driver will fit snugly into the head of the screw. It will not wiggle clockwise or counter clockwise, not even a little ways.

[Note: The driver and screw should be in good shape, if either are damaged in anyway it will lead to problems.]

Make sure the length of the shaft of the driver is long enough the fully clear the mounting bracket, and camera housing. You should be able to drive the screw at a 90 degree angle with the mounting surface. (Sometimes this is not possible due to a poor design of the mounting bracket, or camera housing).

Before you start driving the screw into the surface make sure the driver is fully and properly seated into the screw head. This makes a world of difference in how easy it is the drive the screw, and lessens chances of damaging the screw head.

[side note: Robertson is not simply a 'square', it's a brand name and Phillips is not simply a 'star' shape, and Allen is not simply a 'hex'... but that is too off topic for this forum.]

I have recently put up 2 cameras and both have threaded when putting them up! I have been wondering about Camera Extension Rings?? Will they make the process easier as the problem I am having is that the camera seems to be pressed against the wall so its a pig to tighten the surround onto the wall bracket..

Did you mean 'stripped' in stead of "threaded"? My tips above should help avoid stripping. I don't know anything about "Camera Extension Rings", so I won't comment. Another important tip when tightening screws for almost anything; is to not fully tighten any of the screws fully, get them all in most the way first, but not sung. Then go around the circle, tightening one, then the one on the opposite side until they are all tight (just like you would a car tires lug nuts). Do not over tighten. One quarter turn past snug is good.

I do not recommend using a power tool to tighten any of the screws. Power tools easily over tighten, strip, and damaged screw heads. Use only hand tools.

If I've left anything out, see my first paragraph.

Haha I am not asking for help on drilling screws into the wall !!

I am talking about the dome cameras themselves ! You have to screw them into the base/wall bracket - this is where I keep having issues :/

I am talking about the dome cameras themselves ! You have to screw them into the base/wall bracket - this is where I keep having issues :/

Because there are so many different brands, each with their own way of mounting, if you can give make and model numbers of the units, and/or photos some one will hopefully be able to give you tips.

I think I know what your issue is.

When you screw the base to the wall don't really overtighten the screws because you will distort the base ,even the slightest distortion will cause the threads to missalign.

Rob.

Because there are so many different brands, each with their own way of mounting, if you can give make and model numbers of the units, and/or photos some one will hopefully be able to give you tips.

Triax

TDV 796W/G

THERE 700TVL 960HCCD

Varifocal Dome Cameras

you can buy junction boxes that fit to the base of the camera

you can get exact fitting sizes for those eyeball dome cameras.

you can buy junction boxes that fit to the base of the camera

you can get exact fitting sizes for those eyeball dome cameras.

FINALLY

Some one who actually knows what I am talking about.

Do these extensions make it much easier to get the cameras up?

Thanks

image.thumb.jpg.f3f4146613e1a586033d5e294ba3abbf.jpg

haha i know exactly what your talking about... i had an Acti dome mount screwed into sheetrock ceiling (not to tight) and took forever to get that dome onto the mount.. along with the ethernet cable in the hole it's really really a pain!!!

Next time i do one... i think i'm going to put some sort of "spacer" gasket on the wall mount. This way when i go to screw the dome on i don't have to push hard and slightly grind into the sheetrock lol

I think my "gasket" idea would work perfectly... it'll slightly raise the mount, will be solidly installed, and then much easier to get the dome mounted. But not to big of a gasket can't have the dome floating lol

and the how to screw holes thread was juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a little off, not sure he understood what you were you were having problems with. those mounts leave almost ZERO room for error... and what if the sheetrock is not prefect.