scooterguy

$3000-4000 to spend

Hi all, thanks for reading. I require a security camera system for my retail store. It is about 5000 sq ft. I am considering purchasing an out of the box system (I know you guys probably hate that!) like Costco's Advertx 16 camera IP NVR system. I am wondering if I can get a better home built product with suggestions from the smart people on this forum. What I need...

- fairly high def...min 720p

- wired or wireless...not a factor (drop ceiling)

- stand-alone pvr or PC with software (recommendations?)

- will start with 8 cameras (4 domes 4 bullets) with ability to expand.

- budget max $4000.

That is about all I know at this point. Any recommendations would be awesome!

thanks

There is nothing wrong with costco systems..as long as you get the right ones...Their ip systems from swann and lorex are rebranded hikvision and dahua... You get the ability to return it at anytime if you dont like it...Otherwise you can piece your own system together for less..lots of threads on this topic./

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-9-1080p-Cameras.product.100153135.html

http://www.costco.com/Swann-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-8-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100144944.html

If you were going to piece a system together is it better to do a PC based system or buy a stand alone pvr? Also, I may be looking on wrong sites but piecing together 8 cams and a 16 channel PVR plus all cables etc for that price seems to be a challenge.

Just make sure a new system is IP based and doesn't use the antiquated coaxial. Some new systems still use that, but it suffers in image quality significantly and will never grow as quickly as IP is.

Scooterguy,

16 Ch IP system could be expensive choice for your application. You may go for fairly cheap HD-SDI, or CVI, or TVI, or AHD cameras and stand alone 16 Ch HD DVR. If the stand alone DVR is expensive, then you may go for 960H System (analog cameras and 16 Ch 960H stand alone DVR). As 960H system is as new as HD system, the video quality of 960H system gets much better than that of the old CIF or D1 quality system.

I did the 4 camera AvertX thing for my house and returned them.

They did not specify what the fps is, for me I wanted 30fps. They are actually 15 fps.... I had to contact them directly to get that info oddly enough. The software on the NVR is better then Q-see but still much to be desired. The digital vari focal camera's were great!

I now have a 200MB 32 channel Hikvision DS-7732NI-SP running 6 of the DS-2CD2732F-IS camera's and 4 of the DS-2CD2132-I camera's.

I could not be happier with this system. The NVR is easy to use and lets you customize just about everything.... except getting a ""hallway view" can't do that one. You should seriously look into this option before spending that much money.

Either way you go, Good Luck!

@300winmag you fell victim to a common sales gimmic where the fps of the recorder is not stated. Also many costco systems come with NVRs that do not support higher than 2mp cameras.

@scooterguy if you are looking to build your ip camera system then you may want to browse the links below. I found this site while looking for custom systems a long while back, and I buy from them often as their service is good. You can try to build a custom 1080P system here:

http://www.123-cctv.com/ip-camera-system-build-your-own-1080p.html

And a 720 p here:

http://www.123-cctv.com/custom-ip-network-camera-system-720p-poe.html

The NVRs they carry come with 3 years warranty. I am a property manager and the warranty comes in handy for the many systems my company owns.

I did the 4 camera AvertX thing for my house and returned them.

They did not specify what the fps is, for me I wanted 30fps. They are actually 15 fps.... I had to contact them directly to get that info oddly enough. The software on the NVR is better then Q-see but still much to be desired. The digital vari focal camera's were great!

I now have a 200MB 32 channel Hikvision DS-7732NI-SP running 6 of the DS-2CD2732F-IS camera's and 4 of the DS-2CD2132-I camera's.

I could not be happier with this system. The NVR is easy to use and lets you customize just about everything.... except getting a ""hallway view" can't do that one. You should seriously look into this option before spending that much money.

Either way you go, Good Luck!

I found out they do record at 30fps, 15 on two separate streams. stream 1 is fullscreen and stream 2 is multicamera view. effective fps is 15, but cameras are all recording at 30 and the nvr is recording 30 per camera as well.