scooterguy

Build yourself or buy from Costco?

Hi, I am going to be purchasing a 16 channel IP NVR system...either out of the box from Costco (Lorex, Advertx, Swann or Q-See). All of these brands seem to be on par cost wise...except for Advertx which is about double the price. Is this brand really worth that much more? I understand that Swann and Qsee are rebranded Hikvision and Dahua which seem to be respected brands. Not sure about Lorex or Advertx.

Anyways, I am also considering building my own system. At this point it is very hard to see any advantage to that. Especially when you price out some of the parts? Any advice would be great.

thanks

I always look at the warranty issue. If I have a problem how do I get the item repaired and or replaced> If I build my own it cloud the issue. Support is another thing to consider. IF you buy a camera and it has problems talking to the NVR is it a camera issue or an NVR issue.

Great point. But I wonder if these systems are pretty good quality equipment and have the best warranty then why do some many people (on these forums) design their own systems? What is the advantage to building your own?

There are pros and cons to pretty much any set up.

An Out of the box, from Cost Co system offers you everything you should need to get up and running. It offers you simplicity in that everything in the box is made to work together. In the box should be a 'set-up guide', and/or a 'quick-set up guide', these guides and pretty much exclusive to 'in a box' systems. It's all in a box, with a clear price tag, there shouldn't be any extras costs for most DYI installs, so you know what your spending. It's all together so set up, getting help and support should be easy. Buying from Cost Co offers you Cost Co's return policy. The downside is this a kind of 'one size' fits all solution, it won't be tailored. The features will be limited, and future expansion may be limited, or require adding another system. Also if the 'in a box' system comes with 8 cameras and you only need 7, you have paid for a camera you don't need. These style systems are good for small setup only.

A Build it your self system means you can pick each component best suited for your needs. You will need to pick each camera out (there are thousands), the cable lengths, NVR, Power source, etc. With a system like this you need to do your research. There are so many choices. The price is a bit trickier to figure out too; cables cost money, and they do not come with most cameras. You can go way overboard and buy stuff you don't need too. Also going this route means you'll need to learn to use each camera, and NVR or software. Support may be limited, and there may not be any at all. You also need to trust who you buy from; make sure what you pay for is what you get. Warranties, returns and such can be difficult, or impossible. This type of system may take time to learn, and is for someone willing to take time to learn. There may be some trial and error also, and sometimes that is frustrating, time consuming, and costly. In other words, it can become a bit of a hobby. This type of system is good for small setups, and can be used for larger setups, but larger set-ups can become very complex.

A Pro Installed system means you should have a system that suits your needs, works as you want, and is neat and tidy. Also, if something goes wrong, the installer should be able to return and correct the problem. A good installer should guild you through what you really need, rather than you you think you need. A good installer should sell, install and support what they sell and install. Having a pro install can actually save you time, money, and headaches. A pro install will likely cost more on paper. Having a pro install the system should mean it can be as small or as large as needed.

Nice response Joe. It would also help to know is this for a home or small business as well as your budget

I've bought two systems from Costco. The first was a Q-See system that came with 2mp cameras. I used the system for about 1 year before it started having problems with the nvr. I spent 3 weeks going back and forth (emails) with Q-See tech support. After Q-See not figuring out what the problem was, Costco said to just bring the system back. I took back in the nvr with the 4 cameras, minus the cables. I was given a full refund no questions asked.

I then turned around and bought a new Swann system that had the newer 3mp cameras.

I'm glad that Costco was easy to deal with!

Have $3000-$4000 to spend. This is for a 5000sqft store. Will probably end up starting with around 8 cams and slowly adding 8 more. Combo of bullets and domes. All indoor and no real need for night. Will need cell phone access. Wiring is not an issue since there is a drop ceiling. Suggestions appreciated.

Have $3000-$4000 to spend. This is for a 5000sqft store. Will probably end up starting with around 8 cams and slowly adding 8 more. Combo of bullets and domes. All indoor and no real need for night. Will need cell phone access. Wiring is not an issue since there is a drop ceiling. Suggestions appreciated.

Howdy,

Went with the Costco Q-See 16 Channel HD NVR Security System The NVR is a 1.5 U and has 16 POE ports. It does come with w 3tb purple drive to start with, and has room to add 3 more drives. It comes with 9 3mp bullet camera's, so that gives you some room to purchase other types of camera's which you might want.

Current system as of today;

added 3 WD 4TB purple drives, 3 Dahua IPC-HFW2300R-Z, 2 Dahua IPC-HDW4300C 2.8mm, 2 Dahua IPC-HDBW4300E 2.8mm

all working very smoothly so far.

Current system as of today;

added 3 WD 4TB purple drives, 3 Dahua IPC-HFW2300R-Z, 2 Dahua IPC-HDW4300C 2.8mm, 2 Dahua IPC-HDBW4300E 2.8mm

all working very smoothly so far.

Will that NVR raid 1/5/6 the drives?