Looks like Hikvision are concentrating on the 2cd-2032 as a sort of flagship model, trying to improve it etc. Just wish they'd start making them in Black as spray painting them is a pain in the ass!!

Looks like Hikvision are concentrating on the 2cd-2032 as a sort of flagship model, trying to improve it etc. Just wish they'd start making them in Black as spray painting them is a pain in the ass!!

I don't think this would be a 'flagship' camera at any time. I think HikVision only is messing with this model because it's a lost cost, entery level model that became popular.

Rather than painting the unit have you considered trying to make a 'slip cover'. I don't know what would fit best, as I don't have one of these yet, but I'd start by looking at PVC tubing [ie. central vac tubing, drain piping, electrical conduit]. You'd still need to spray paint it, but you wouldn't need to worry about painting the cameras glass by accident.

After finding tubing that fits nicely over the camera's housing I would cut it to a half inch (2cm) longer than the cameras full length (including the sun shade). Then I'd couture the front to match the sunshade. I'd then drill a hole at the bottom back of the tubing for a screw. Paint. Slide over camera. Put in screw to stop the slip cover from sliding down. I'd then use one or more small pieces of left over tubing and wedge them gently under the slipcover at the front by the sunshade to stop the cover from rotating. You just need to find a tube with an inner diameter a good size to fit over the cameras housing.

Here are some quick thoughts.

The 2CD2032F is different from the 2CD2032. The casing is different, the materials are different. They do look like a lot, but they are not. Just by picking them up you can feel the difference, the old 2CD2032 is way heavier than the new 2CD2032F. They do feel different; the new model casing is different material, it doesn't feel so thick, it doesn't feel so heavy, it doesn't feel so sturdy. It feels a bit "cheaper", I would say.

The new 2CD2032F is about 325 grams, while 2CD2032 is about 375gr. The new model does look ok, I am not saying it looks like a cheap camera, I do think that Hikvision tried to lower the costs, and I hope this will not affect the quality. I might like a bit more the old casing, but once they are mounted high somewhere, it will be quite hard to tell the difference between them.

This 2CD2032F came with 5.2.5 firmware (sticker says 5.2., english date. According to the serial number it was manufactured 27/Jan/2015.

I just hope they keep making the ds-2cd2032-i as I truly hate that pigtail. Certainly not as huge an improvement between as the ds-2c2132 to the ds-2cd2132f.

As for putting a sleeve over the camera, not sure that's wise as these cameras run very hot and putting something on that may impede cooling may shorten it's life.

Yes, the reset button is placed near the card slot.

Oh, ok! I still did not open the camera, just noticed that the reset button was missing from the back.

Looks a lot different from the front. The IR area looks bigger, as does the lens housing in the middle, amongst other things.

The DS-2cd2032F-I arrived in the mail today. It was double boxed, with dense sponge padding and just as well. The package had quite a beating in the post. It looked like it was stacked underneath of some rather heavy cargo.

268703_1.jpg

Installing and configuring the cam went well enough. I connected via my VDSL router and within a few minutes the camera was working.

One thing that puzzles me is the video storage was set by default to save in my user area in a folder called "Web".

I lost a bit of time battling to understand why I couldn't see this "web" folder. It turned out there is a virtualized "C:\users" in the hidden Appdata/temp files area. Is this normal?

I've put a shortcut on the desktop for the time being.

I haven't so much as opened the SD card cover.

So for about $82 I'm pleased. Now for more study on cameras, NVR's etc. Probably I'll make another purchase within a week or so, this time a Hikvision turret cam.

So for about $82 I'm pleased. Now for more study on cameras, NVR's etc. Probably I'll make another purchase within a week or so, this time a Hikvision turret cam.

Which AE vendor did you use? I don't think I'll be getting that model as the DS-2CD2132F-I is now out, but I do want a good AE vendor. Oh, and what lens did you get?

Which AE vendor did you use? I don't think I'll be getting that model as the DS-2CD2132F-I is now out, but I do want a good AE vendor. Oh, and what lens did you get?

Vendor: Dragoneye. Initially I thought about a bigger lens but agreed to the default 4mm as seller said that was 'in stock'. Next cam I'll specifically ask about availability before buying. I don't think they keep any in stock as such so maybe it easier or cheaper to convince a customer to go with default. For me I want 6+ cameras anyway so it will work somewhere...

I like the look of this cam here and the seller has awesome feedback so on my favorite vendor list too. However there are only two lens currently selectable.

Vendor: Dragoneye. Initially I thought about a bigger lens but agreed to the default 4mm as seller said that was 'in stock'. Next cam I'll specifically ask about availability before buying. I don't think they keep any in stock as such so maybe it easier or cheaper to convince a customer to go with default. For me I want 6+ cameras anyway so it will work somewhere...

I like the look of this cam here and the seller has awesome feedback so on my favorite vendor list too. However there are only two lens currently selectable.

Mostly I want 4mm I think, but I will want at least one 2.8mm. Seeing as I have what I think is mostly about 4mm ones now (analogue) that are I guess 0.3mp a 2.8mm lens would maybe let me save some $$ buy starting with less cameras . Not sure until I get some time to play with the vari-focial that I have.

I have looked at the camera, and the vendors you mentioned. The reason I asked about the vendor was because I noticed that on the DS-2CD2132F-I one vendor has free shipping, and the other doesn't. This makes the free shipping (DragonEye) vendor cheaper (for me). To what country did you get your unit shipped? For me to get that camera shipped to Canada from the vendor "CCTV Camera China" would cost more than 10% of the cost of the camera.

You need to make sure when you order that you will get the newer 'F' model. There is a BIG difference. The non 'F' model has no SD card, but that's not the other difference. The 'F' can be wall mounted (three axis mount), the non 'f' id ceiling mount only (two axis mount). The "f" has better night vision, the non 'F' model apparently has some IRs blocked by the cameras dome. You can find BOTH models reviewed by "the Network Camera Critic" here DS-2CD2132F-I and the older DS-2CD2132-I

I had cam shipped to New Zealand so DragonEye is cheaper for me too. Yes I'm going to go for the dome cams as you suggest so thanks for the pointers. Good looking reviews too.

At some stage I'm wanting to get a cam with a much longer range because I need to stealth monitor an adjacent parking lot getting the number plates. Am thinking 16mm lens and then I can have cam at a safe distance away and hopefully completely invisible.

I had cam shipped to New Zealand so DragonEye is cheaper for me too. Yes I'm going to go for the dome cams as you suggest so thanks for the pointers. Good looking reviews too.

I like the domes mainly to (hopefully) deter spiders from turning the cameras into luxury movie star condos. The 2032 bullets are awesome for a lot of reasons too such as: easy access to the card and reset button. The tiny size of the camera. It's easier to install. It has a sunshade. The lens is likely to stay cleaner, longer. And the IRs are less likely to reflect inside.

At some stage I'm wanting to get a cam with a much longer range because I need to stealth monitor an adjacent parking lot getting the number plates. Am thinking 16mm lens and then I can have cam at a safe distance away and hopefully completely invisible.

16mm? I guess that would be a box camera? Even the 12mm dome and bullets are hard to find. But even a 16mm might not get what you want. A parking lot is generally a big area, and to get a 16mm FOV on a plate number would be a 'shot in the dark' I would think. Good luck though.

I like the domes mainly to (hopefully) deter spiders from turning the cameras into luxury movie star condos. The 2032 bullets are awesome for a lot of reasons too such as: easy access to the card and reset button. The tiny size of the camera. It's easier to install. It has a sunshade. The lens is likely to stay cleaner, longer. And the IRs are less likely to reflect inside.

Good points. The spiders are relentless, I was thinking of some sort of insect spray repellant.

Re reset button, isn't turning power off, then on again going to do the same thing? In the case of POE, the rj45 could be disconnected briefly for same effect.

16mm? I guess that would be a box camera? Even the 12mm dome and bullets are hard to find. But even a 16mm might not get what you want. A parking lot is generally a big area, and to get a 16mm FOV on a plate number would be a 'shot in the dark' I would think. Good luck though.

My plan is to focus at the driveway. There's only one entry/exit. I need to do my sums and work where I can mount the cam, then figure the lens size required. Closer would be good because I could use the 2032 with 12mm option.

Good points. The spiders are relentless, I was thinking of some sort of insect spray repellant.

citronella oil is said to work, of course you'd probably have to make it part of your routine 'maintenance'.

Re reset button, isn't turning power off, then on again going to do the same thing? In the case of POE, the rj45 could be disconnected briefly for same effect.

I pretty sure the reset button does a lot more than that. I think it resets all changes, possibly even IP and port. Unplugging it would just re-boot it.

My plan is to focus at the driveway. There's only one entry/exit. I need to do my sums and work where I can mount the cam, then figure the lens size required. Closer would be good because I could use the 2032 with 12mm option.

The 2032 would be a much less costly idea. Maybe using a 5mp camera would be an option (I know nothing about those, not cost... nothing ).

citronella oil is said to work, of course you'd probably have to make it part of your routine 'maintenance'.

..and I just happen to have some so I'll be trying it.

I pretty sure the reset button does a lot more than that. I think it resets all changes, possibly even IP and port. Unplugging it would just re-boot it..

Oh OK, so it's more like a factory reset on a router. All the settings go back to defaults. Not something to do by accident then.

The 2032 would be a much less costly idea. Maybe using a 5mp camera would be an option (I know nothing about those, not cost... nothing ).

Still pondering on the idea. No hurry so will keep looking at options and learning. Reality is that every time I look at IP camera prices they have either come down or you get more for the same money.

If you do use citronella oil I'd suggest trying to keep it away from, and off of the IRs and camera lens, obviously. Also try to avoid things like any stickers, or 'rubbery' (aka soft) gaskets, as the oil may cause stickers to peel (the under side of the Sunshade on the 2032F looks like a black sticker (Could you let me know?)?, and it could cause gaskets to deteriorate.

I pretty sure the reset button does a lot more than that. I think it resets all changes, possibly even IP and port. Unplugging it would just re-boot it..

Oh OK, so it's more like a factory reset on a router. All the settings go back to defaults. Not something to do by accident then.

Yeah, best to ask and know what it'll do before you push it. You could end up with a all Chinese camera, AND if you read The Network Camera Critics (who has sadly passed away ) warning about new HikVision firmware, it could become an even bigger problem.

Still pondering on the idea. No hurry so will keep looking at options and learning. Reality is that every time I look at IP camera prices they have either come down or you get more for the same money.

Not buying is a sure way top keep your money . And also remember, in a short time the price will drop, and in a short time after that the newer model will be out, and just after that will be.... anything electronic is basically like that. In the early 2000's a 720p 60Hz LCD 40" TV was $10k, today it's landfill.

Good thinking re citronella and rubber gaskets. Actually I was thinking of coating the surrounding area, perhaps out to 2 foot radius. Spiders have been a problem on my current DVR cams so anything to slow them down would be welcome.

Re reset issue,, I'm a bit wary of firmware after having issues with my DVR F/W upgrade. It sounded like a good idea at the time but though the DVR works, I lost a valuable feature. I can't find an original F/W and the maker website (Fuho) only has the latest version listed. Older versions are removed from the website.

But, yes I read about the Hikvision firmware problem. It seems that once a product loses sales/market share then the makers move on, losing interest in supporting the old product. It's wasted time, effort and resources to them and they'd rather you bought a new one..

The underside of the sunshade looks like stick-on black vinyl, I guess to help IR?

I'm pleased so far with my IP cam.

I placed a number plate 15m away and I can just read it on "x1" setting using IE11 and the cameras' software.

It's been very stable with no freeze ups at all.

I bought my cam from Dragoneye with no problems. Now Julia at CCTV Camera is down to offering the same product within a dollar. Both have free shipping on these so I'd say either of the two.