Mr.X

Outdoor PTZ camera to watch back yard

I've never bought a video camera, other than the type you carry around, so I need some advice.

I want to mount a PTZ video camera on the back of my house to allow watching the back yard via a smartphone app with the option to record on demand or when movement is detected to a Windows computer in my house. The house is hardwire networked and I'm pretty good with computers.

I'd like the camera to also be able to stream audio from a built-in microphone in addition to video. The streaming video should be viewable in the house but also on the internet (even if it's at a slower framerate/resolution)

Ideally the camera would be POE and as high a resolution/framerate as is affordable. Let's say under $500 but under $300 would be even better!

A known manufacturer would be a plus, but not critical.

The camera would need to work in the winter, it would be protected from snow, but it might get wet and the temperature can hit -40 sometimes...

Suggestions? Am I out of my mind with the budget I'm proposing?

Is there a comparison table somewhere of current products?

Let's say under $500 but under $300 would be even better!

A known manufacturer would be a plus, but not critical.

The camera would need to work in the winter, it would be protected from snow, but it might get wet and the temperature can hit -40 sometimes...

Suggestions? Am I out of my mind with the budget I'm proposing?

Outdoor PTZ start at about $800. http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2DE4220-AE-OUTDOOR-MINI-1080P/dp/B00QWZIEG4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1426044666&sr=8-5&keywords=hikvision+ptz

Is there a comparison table somewhere of current products?

Look here: http://www.networkcameracritic.com/ You will find useful reviews, and a link to a seller with currents real prices.

no ir, no heater blower, no wall mount.

It is a 2mp BUT you'll have 20x on the 1.3mp to make up the difference.

no ir, no heater blower, no wall mount.

It is a 2mp BUT you'll have 20x on the 1.3mp to make up the difference.

I understand about the IR (for night viewing) but what does the heater blower do?

depends on the install location and geo area. ie. in Alaska or in Arizona. If in a Mall that has temp control............not needed.

And like anything else, the more parts it has the more parts that can fail. I have one running going on 3 years and the fan just started to sound tired so I got a new one from them for free. (I am a Dealer and capable of repairing)

Thank you very much, VST_Man and the rest of you. You've all been very helpful! " title="Applause" />

My location is in Canada so it does get cold (-30) and hot (+100)

Thank you very much, VST_Man and the rest of you. You've all been very helpful! " title="Applause" />

My location is in Canada so it does get cold (-30) and hot (+100)

Where are u in Canada ?

Calgary.

Can you recommend a dealer with plenty of knowledge about IP Cameras?