Tapemaskamog

If Hikvision cam stolen, how to playback video on NAS?

I've just got my new Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW setup and working nicely with my Qnap NAS, using SMB. Live view works great. Playback is fine if the camera is connected via ethernet (not so much if it's running on wifi).

I like my setup, but now I'm a little concerned: Since the camera is functioning as the NVR, and the files on the NAS aren't stored in any obviously accessible way... Do I lose the ability to playback recorded video if the camera is stolen or broken?

In taking a quick look at iVMS-4200 it doesn't look like it can be pointed to the NAS as a source for playback. So what are the options? Or am I overthinking this, not seeing some obvious solution?

Edit: I realize now I can open the files directly from the NAS using any number of video players. (Even though the camera creates a whole mess of files on the NAS share, it seems like the ones containing real footage are always in "datadir0".) So that's at least a good backup. But I'd still like to find a way to view the files in an NVR-like fashion, with a timeline.

Edited by Guest

I've just got my new Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW setup and working nicely with my Qnap NAS, using SMB. Live view works great. Playback is fine if the camera is connected via ethernet (not so much if it's running on wifi).

I like my setup, but now I'm a little concerned: Since the camera is functioning as the NVR, and the files on the NAS aren't stored in any obviously accessible way... Do I lose the ability to playback recorded video if the camera is stolen or broken?

In taking a quick look at iVMS-4200 it doesn't look like it can be pointed to the NAS as a source for playback. So what are the options? Or am I overthinking this, not seeing some obvious solution?

Why not just play the files directly from the NAS using VLC player or similar?

Why not just play the files directly from the NAS using VLC player or similar?

I suppose that would work. But there will likely be hundreds of files to sort through, open and play.

Using Hikvision Local Playback.

So I found a PDF user manual from Hikvision for "Local Playback Software v1.0" here: http://148.243.99.22/CCTV/HIKVISION/Utilerias/Visualizador_de_Informacion_de_Discos_Duros_en_PC/Local_Playback_Software_User_Manual.pdf

But I can't find that actual software anywhere to install.

There is of course "Remote Playback" in iVMS 4200 on both mac and PC. It gives the NVR timeline-type view, but it's just using the camera to access the files, not playing directly from the NAS source. I can also select "Open Video File" from iVMS. But then I'm back to blindly selecting individual video files to play one by one (I think. It didn't seem to work for the one file I tested).

Here's a screenshot from that PDF. It shows the ability to select a drive in the top left left (it's labeled "Saving Path," though): 267968_1.jpg

Edited by Guest

I'm also trying to access video stored on my WD My Cloud, without using a camera in preparation for the "bad guy stole my cameras" scenario. I can browse to the directory on the NAS, \\security\Back\datadir0, for example, and play any of the mp4 files, but I would like to have something that will go to a specific date/time, just like the camera's web interface or the various Android/iOS apps do.

I've tried to use "Local Playback" but cannot figure out how to get it to access the WD NAS. Under "Playback", "Disk Name:", it only shows "Disk 0", and when that is pulled down, Drive c: is the only one available. I have mapped the NAS (running Windows 10 and also XP) at the root and in the various directories and it still won't show up. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.