bestfootforward

Should I replace my existing office CCTV system?

a good job lasts a year?

Why is IE even involved?

I dont think you understood - the reboot is to install updates at non critical times...NVR's sometimes require firmware updates as well...

I simply believe that you are an amature have no idea what you are doing and throwing out recommendations just for the heck of it.

Yes, their work was good. If your reading skills were as sharp as your attitude you would have caught that it was our employees playing on IE that caused the system issues, which are inherent to windows.

If you do not know that IE is what most exploits are written for, you definitely don't need to be pushing windows-based dvr/nvrs, and you really need to re-think what you know about security in general.

How can there be a non-critical time on a security system that is running 24x7? Do you somehow know when disaster is going to strike? NVR's made need firmware updates, but they will not be for core functionality. Updating the PC OS is part of the core functionality since without it the nvr is no more. One bad update and no more nvr.

The spelling is immature, which is exactly what your trolling/bully-wannabe posts following me around have been. It is uncalled for and counter-productive to this thread as well as discussions on this forum, so just stop.

a good job lasts a year?

Why is IE even involved?

I dont think you understood - the reboot is to install updates at non critical times...NVR's sometimes require firmware updates as well...

I simply believe that you are an amature have no idea what you are doing and throwing out recommendations just for the heck of it.

Yes, their work was good. If your reading skills were as sharp as your attitude you would have caught that it was our employees playing on IE that caused the system issues, which are inherent to windows.

If you do not know that IE is what most exploits are written for, you definitely don't need to be pushing windows-based dvr/nvrs, and you really need to re-think what you know about security in general.

How can there be a non-critical time on a security system that is running 24x7? Do you somehow know when disaster is going to strike? NVR's made need firmware updates, but they will not be for core functionality. Updating the PC OS is part of the core functionality since without it the nvr is no more. One bad update and no more nvr.

The spelling is immature, which is exactly what your trolling/bully-wannabe posts following me around have been. It is uncalled for and counter-productive to this thread as well as discussions on this forum, so just stop.

I read what your wrote. Why in the world are your employees using IE on a dedicated NVR machine?????

No one should be touching it!!! Something is not right here. Are you seriously blaming employee for infecting an NVR machine? How could you even allow something like that?

If your installations are mission critical you can have a laptop record your cameras while you reboot a pc...OP is running a small business, you can have non critical downtime, like after hours...

But maybe you are right and the thousands of users of avigilon, milestone and exacq are all wrong...

With a pc you can build in much more redundancy then you can with an NVR because even a cheap pc server can support dual power supplies and raid..you have to pay through the nose for that on a dedicated NVR.

You simply have no clue, and just did a drive by with 50 posts in one day.

Furthermore, depending on the setup you NEVER have to update windows if you dont want to and just vpn into the machine....

You are performing a disservice when you discount a very reliable method if implementing NVR recording simply because you had a bad experience which appears to be your employees using an NVR for surfing the net.

I read what your wrote. Why in the world are your employees using IE on a dedicated NVR machine?????

No one should be touching it!!! Something is not right here. Are you seriously blaming employers for infecting an NVR machine? How could you even allow something like that?

If your installations are mission critical you can have a laptop record your cameras while you reboot a pc...OP is running a small business, you can have non critical downtime, like after hours...

But maybe you are right and the thousands of users of avigilon, milestone and exacq are all wrong...

With a pc you can build in much more redundancy then you can with an NVR because even a cheap pc server can support dual power supplies and raid..you have to pay through the nose for that on a dedicated NVR.

You simply have no clue, and just did a drive by with 50 posts in one day.

Some of the largest i

Bad manager. No employees, just him playing with it thinking it was okay. Wasn't my call, but became my problem when the system stopped working. I didn't buy the pc-based system in the first place, but it was well-built and solid hardware.

Small business is what needs 24x7 more than any other. You can't predict when something bad is going to happen. You'd know this if you ever owned a business.

Thousands of people can use pc-based systems, but if they were perfect, the stand alones wouldn't dominate the dvr market like the do. The only reason nvrs are currently pc-based is because the stand-alones cost more for the same functionality. But in a business, downtime or lack of core functionality at a critical time costs more than the difference between a standalone and pc-based nvr. Wait until cost drops on the nvrs--pcs will become ancient like they are in the dvr world.

Yes, you can build more hardware redundancy on a pc platform. So what when the weakest link is the operating system which is software?

When I visit a forum to post a question, I will try to answer as much as I can before asking my question. It's calling giving back. Might want to try that instead of giving crap.

You were not giving back..you were giving bad advice...You made no attempt at diagnosis...you message was clear, replace the pc with an NVR, because I had a bad experience with a pc based system because employees were messing around with it. Makes ZERO sense.

NVR's are not even close in terms of custom setups vs a pc system...for small businesses this is very important - they may want more than basic recording without spending thousands....

You really need to watch your tone. It's obvious you don't know as much as you think and keep pounding your chest like a gorilla rather than providing proper logic to your conclusions.

Custom setup comes at a cost of reliability and support. Most small businesses don't want to be anchored to a vendor. Like I said before, if you knew a single thing about small businesses, this wouldn't have to be debated with you.

How is using milestone being anchored to a vendor..if anything...using an NVR anchors you to the seller to obtain firmware updates and limits the cameras you can use.

Like i said before, if you knew anything about pc/nvr's you would not be making these comments.

How is using milestone being anchored to a vendor..if anything...using an NVR anchors you to the seller to obtain firmware updates and limits the cameras you can use.

Like i said before, if you knew anything about pc/nvr's you would not be making these comments.

Because if they're not going to learn how to maintain and service milestone, they will be relying in their vendor. Even though they could use another vendor, they would still be tied to a vendor. Most small businesses don't want their hands tied like this unless necessary.

Yes, using an NVR does have limitations, but businesses don't tinker all day with their nvr's or security systems like toys. They set them up, expect them to work, and then go run their business.

Because if they're not going to learn how to maintain and service milestone, they will be relying in their vendor. Even though they could use another vendor, they would still be tied to a vendor. Most small businesses don't want their hands tied like this unless necessary.

Yes, using an NVR does have limitations, but businesses don't tinker all day with their nvr's or security systems like toys. They set them up, expect them to work, and then go run their business.

Except that the OP is competent enough to use milestone just fine...he was having a technical issue that may or may not be related to the pc...there are hundreds of thousnds of pc NVR's running perfectly..there is no need to "tinker" with them after the initial setup unless you want to...

I also have seen lots of failed NVR's/DVR's...it all depends on the end users needs.

Except that the OP is competent enough to use milestone just fine...he was having a technical issue that may or may not be related to the pc...there are hundreds of thousnds of pc NVR's running perfectly..there is no need to "tinker" with them after the initial setup unless you want to...

I also have seen lots of failed NVR's/DVR's...it all depends on the end users needs.

Agreed. The OP doesn't have a usability issue with Milestone, but there is a reliability issue. The reliability issue may or may not be pc related, like you said, but eliminate the pc and it will more than likely be much more stable, albeit more limited in certain ways. However, I don't think it will be limited in the way the OP wants to use it with email alerts.

All electronics fail--the only question is when and how. The right set up will work properly and reliably for years without any major issue, but it really depends on who is setting it up and how complicated the setup is. An nvr is generally geared towards ease of setup vs a pc-based system and is a bit on the 'k.i.s.s.' side of the spectrum in terms of what is available out there.