alanb

Interrogation Audio/Video Recorder

I am looking for some leads on suppliers that sell and audio/video DVR type system for recording police interrogations. (I think they call this custodial evidence). Anyhow, I need a four channel system to cover four separate rooms. The system I am looking for is not the typical DVR with audio capability. The system I am trying to find has to be designed for this type of application to ensure compliance with evidence gathering laws.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

You might want to check-out this earlier post to answer your questions regarding continuity of evidence.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4333&highlight=

In working with police, they prefer standalone systems..and simple...that is a DVD recorder (some still use VHS)....good video and simultaneous audio. They also run seperate audiocassette recorder for transcripts. Most of the rooms have two cameras (wide shot & closeup picture in picture) plus time date generation.

I can understand their reasoning....if you're 4 channel unit goes down...you've got problems.....plus how do you handle multiple interviews? What about copying?

I used a Sanyo DSR-M814 for prison cells, and noted it has 4 seperate audio inputs...perhaps this will do the trick for you....it's MPEG2 and easy to operate.

Some of the guys have had success with other recorders so I'll let them respond.

Rapid

Yes definitly check that post out because there are many different rules and regulations in different states and counties. I have designed several systems to comply with several areas from vcrs, to dvd recorders with HD's, to 4 ch dvr's with 4 ch's of audio and even seperate audio recording devices.

if they have the cash flow, check out the GE DSR-2000e .. audio, 60pps, Single Channel, Lan, SVHS Output. Internal HDD Sizes up to 2TB.

Thanks to all for the response. I meet with the Police Department on Tuesday so I will definitely share the points that have been raised as a result of these posts.

I talked with the folks at the following web site.

http://www.trantech-inc.com/solutions2c.html

This is a higher end solution but very secure in terms of following the rules for interogation recording. The disadvantage for us (and many of the members of this forum) is that they don't sell a "box" we can install as part of an overall solution. Makes it a bit ackward but potentially workable. Still trying to sort through the details with them. Anyhow, they have a presense for this application so it's worth exploring.

Again, thanks for your posts.

Alan

Sanyo has the DSR-M810 and DSR-M814 single-channel and four-channel digital recorders that work very well for this application. They have also added a new software package that is specifically designed for this market. It includes an archiving system that will store all audio, video, and paperwork from case files. Meaning, you could include video from the DVR, audio from multiple different sources (including hand-held devices), and even scanned paperwork all retrievable from the software.

I have bid the system to a local jail and the price is considerably lower then other systems that do not offer as much.

Check out www.RTSSENTRY.com. They have an excellent DVR that has synchronized audio with the video. Very impressed with the equipment. They have installed the system in several interagation rooms in the MO. and IL area.

The guys name is Tony Vrooman (618 233 8500)

That transtech clearview is very interesting. What is list price on something like that?? I have several customers who install systems for police dept. interogation/interview rooms and similar sites. Usually (depending on regulations and budget) they use either a realtime 1-4 ch DVR with corresponding Audio or DVD Recorders with HD's(like a Tivo) and Louroe audio kits with a couple nice hi-res vf domes, box cam's with vf lens in security housings or(if budget really tight) board cams(usually metal cased) in housings, sometimes they even use box cams with mics built in(again if budget tight). What state or city are you in, if you don't mind me asking? If you want I could give you a couple of names and phone #'s of some guys with alot of experience in this field.

I too am interested in this. I am the network admin and AV go-to for a mid sized DA office, 42 police departments and 100 ADAs. I have put together a nice package for our Sexual Abuse interview rooms, we have six of them in our district, and now some of the PDs are interested in the setup. I am using a good quality dome camera, boundary mic in the ceiling all going to a pair of consumer grade DVD recorders. I am using a phantom power/preamp on the mic for line level to the DVDs and the camera output is sufficient for the records.

The biggest problem I have with some of the DVR setups that some of the PDs use is that they only produce output in a proprietary format with it's own viewer application. It is a real PIA to convert them into something we can use. Are they all like that?

I too am interested in this. I am the network admin and AV go-to for a mid sized DA office, 42 police departments and 100 ADAs. I have put together a nice package for our Sexual Abuse interview rooms, we have six of them in our district, and now some of the PDs are interested in the setup. I am using a good quality dome camera, boundary mic in the ceiling all going to a pair of consumer grade DVD recorders. I am using a phantom power/preamp on the mic for line level to the DVDs and the camera output is sufficient for the records.

The biggest problem I have with some of the DVR setups that some of the PDs use is that they only produce output in a proprietary format with it's own viewer application. It is a real PIA to convert them into something we can use. Are they all like that?

Billyk:

The commercial grade DVRs I am familiar with all use a proprietary format for watermarking the data to guarantee it has not been modified in any way. In many cases, they provide their own viewer to support their watermarking approach. However, these same machines can also save in AVI formats, which of course can be viewed on any PC. I would guess your machines can save in AVI. I am not a legal expert, but I would not recommend this format for any video clips required for evidence. (Even in non police applications, we strongly encourage our clients to use the watermarked data)

Alan

alanb, thanks for the input. I am hoping this is the case. I understand about the watermarking and is what I was thinking was going on. So far I have been able to get around some of them by outputting SVHS from a laptop's TV out into my capture card. That allows me to make a DVD for easier viewing. I guess some of the proprietary apps are too smart for this and blank anything on a second monitor. I think I will need to visit some of the PDs in my district to see if the copy we get is available in AVI, it sure would save a lot of grief.

Regarding the legal aspect, as far as I know and what I do is that these originals in their original form are the evidence admitted into court for the trial. I am just trying to make easy viewing for the attorneys, both defense and prosecution. As long as it can be assured that these are copies and the original is available we have not had any problems. As a mater of fact I have to clean up jailhouse phone call audio a fair amount as it is usually lousy. It has been used in court for a jury more than once. Again as long as the original is there, it is usually not a problem for enhanced copying.

Again, thanks for your help.