A few folks advised to go with a none POE NVR and to get a switch.

One benefit is putting the POE switch near the cameras and running one cable to the NVR.

I have this switch, but would like to ask if you prefer an NVR with or without POE.

FS728TP

Thanks again

A few folks advised to go with a none POE NVR and to get a switch.

One benefit is putting the POE switch near the cameras and running one cable to the NVR.

I have this switch, but would like to ask if you prefer an NVR with or without POE.

FS728TP

Thanks again

The advice you received is good..there is zero benefit in getting the poe built in (it will be louder as well)...there are other issues like direct access to the cameras over the network that is resolved by using a switch...there is no downside except possibly cost...

My preference is to use a PoE that is separate from the NVR. I know one installer in our area with many years of experience who uses a separate 24v supply. He runs both power and Cat5 to each camera. He does this because he got tired of replacing failed PoE switches. I'm guessing the PoE switches are more reliable today. For your own system, a separate PoE switch should do fine.

To think this equipment can constantly remain up and running for several years is impressive. I will use the above mentioned switch.

I had my fair share configuring DVR but not NVRs.

Here thinking, if the router is providing IP addresses via DHCP to the cameras on the switch, and these IP addresses have to be entered into the NVR.

What happens if the router power cycles and assigns new IP addresses to the camera?

We got around this on the DVR by disabling DHCP once we got an IP.

Is there something similar for NVR type setups?

My preference is to statically assign virtually everything on my LAN including cameras, servers, printers, etc. I leave DHCP enabled for visitors.

So it's possible to make the cameras ip static. Is this through the cameras menu? Or will they automatically get the same ip even after a power cycle/outage and don't have to do anything.

So it's possible to make the cameras ip static. Is this through the cameras menu? Or will they automatically get the same ip even after a power cycle/outage and don't have to do anything.

You can either reserve the ip address in the router for the camera "dhcp reservation" or assign a static ip address in the camera while using an ip address outside the dhcp range.