Sign in to follow this  
gendos01

Hikvision ivms 4200 . Can I use multiple HDDs ?

I have dedicated PC with Hikvision PCNVR ivms 4200 .. No storage server installed .

I am recording 2 (3mp ) cam at high quality . I installed 3tb WD purple drive . I can record about 70 days about 10hr/day .

I'd like to record 140 days or so , I want to add another hard drive to the PC 3TB - so I will have two 3TB drives (6 TB total ) for recording .

However , I can't find any info if I can use 2 drives with ivms 4200 . I would hope that it will write to HD 1 and when it full it will move to HD 2 ... eventually overwriting HD 1 again .

Do you think is will work ? Can PCNVR figure out that it has 2 drives to use ?

Do I need to build somehow one logical drive out of two physical drives using windows ( not even sure if I can do it in windows ) ?

Thank you

Im running PCNVR on my home server and whilst I don't know the answer to your immediate question, I thought I might offer a couple of suggestions.

In PCNVR under the Disk Management menu it will list all the available drives in the the system and I would have assumed that you could select more than one drive for storage but I cant confirm that as I only have the one drive myself.

If that didn't work, your alternatives are:

1. Create a RAID1 system with 2 or more drives thereby making the multiple drives appear as one large drive to the operating system with a total capacity which is the sum of the individual drives.

Depending on the operating system you are using, you can actually create a software RAID1 in Windows 7 and later operating systems without needing additional hardware. Ive actually done this myself with no issues on another system.

If you want to take the purist route you will need to set up a hardware RAID1 using either your computer's on-board bios or invest in a dedicated RAID card. Either option is perfectly acceptable. It really depends on your budget and computer skills.

2. If your using Windows 8 as your operating system you can use "Storage Spaces" I think its called which essentially does the same as item 1 above but Microsoft has added a nice front end to make it easier to create and manage.

3. Use any number of 3rd party apps to do something similar to points 1 and 2 above. Just google it.

Its definitely possible to achieve what you want to do.

I have dedicated PC with Hikvision PCNVR ivms 4200 .. No storage server installed .

I am recording 2 (3mp ) cam at high quality . I installed 3tb WD purple drive . I can record about 70 days about 10hr/day .

I'd like to record 140 days or so , I want to add another hard drive to the PC 3TB - so I will have two 3TB drives (6 TB total ) for recording .

However , I can't find any info if I can use 2 drives with ivms 4200 . I would hope that it will write to HD 1 and when it full it will move to HD 2 ... eventually overwriting HD 1 again .

Do you think is will work ? Can PCNVR figure out that it has 2 drives to use ?

Do I need to build somehow one logical drive out of two physical drives using windows ( not even sure if I can do it in windows ) ?

Thank you

And why old PCNVR? Why not iVMS Client + Storage Server? You can have like 64 HDDs this way.

"And why old PCNVR? Why not iVMS Client + Storage Server? You can have like 64 HDDs this way"

Well its not old PCNVR . I got new lenovo TS140 server with 2 hard drives (one for OS and one for storage )

I use ivms 4200 PCNVR client without Storage Server . When i did initial istall , due to limited documentation - this is how I made it work . It works great and I did not have a need for Storage Server .

Do you think I can add a storage server application to same PC and make it work with already installed PCNVR Ivms 4200 client ?

Is IVMS Client = ivms 4200 PCNVR ?

I installed second hard drive and formatted it using ivms-4200 . Playback videos don't get deleted any more , new videos are being added . Which makes me think its utilizing scond harddrive automatically . Which is exactly what I have been trying to achieve . Additionally , when I go to menu to select hard drive owerwrite when it full . Number of harddrives is displayed as 2 .

In short , it appears you can add extra harddrive and ivms-4200 , will start using both and switch to empty drive once first one is full . I am going to report back in few month , once both harddrives are overwritten . For now it appears since HD1 was full , it writing to HD2

Thank you for help