EGG5

Could you help with my covert operation please?

Hello, I have been researching for quite a bit but need some experienced users help if possible.

Scenario:

My family have had some property vandalised, we don't know why, and we would like to see who is doing it if it happens again.

We currently have a Swann http://www.swann.com/us/swdvr-41425h and http://www.swann.com/us/swpro-535pk2

A friend gave this to my Dad because he wanted to keep an eye on the cars, mainly because local kids/youths can get a bit unruly.

I set this system up for him about a year ago, just using the cameras inside the house looking through the upstairs window as otherwise it meant drilling holes through the cavity wall. The cars are parked on the road about 15metres from the house.

The house has a canopy on the outside. Because the cars are where they are the cameras have a blindspot. This is an example of the canopy but not my folks' house. We have no garage or drive, just a front garden/lawn.

271002_1.jpg

Someone has vandlaised our property by going under the canopy and damaging plants and turf, looks like spraying or pouring something corrosive on them. This has no doubt happened on a night/early hours.

I have researched the IP systems but only have about £250/$400 which is peanuts. I am interested in getting an IP System in the future but I reckon I will need at least double my budget for anything decent. I also do not fancy putting expensive IP cameras under the canopy which would mean someone could get to them easily and steal them. I could have one in the window again for better images of the cars though.

My idea was to get 2 new analog cameras to add to the exisiting swann DVR. Then try to make them as covert as possible outside under the canopy. I tested the Swann 535 650TVL cams on a night outside and they get some decent images because there is decent street lighting, enough to see if it is anybody coming out of a house in the street and sneeking under the window line of the houses.

I can get 2 of these for about £50/$75. However, I was wondering if I could get anything smaller than these cameras but have similar quality images. Do you guys know of any particular cameras that would be suitable? Or can you think of any other ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, I have been researching for quite a bit but need some experienced users help if possible.

Scenario:

My family have had some property vandalised, we don't know why, and we would like to see who is doing it if it happens again.

We currently have a Swann http://www.swann.com/us/swdvr-41425h and http://www.swann.com/us/swpro-535pk2

A friend gave this to my Dad because he wanted to keep an eye on the cars, mainly because local kids/youths can get a bit unruly.

I set this system up for him about a year ago, just using the cameras inside the house looking through the upstairs window as otherwise it meant drilling holes through the cavity wall. The cars are parked on the road about 15metres from the house.

The house has a canopy on the outside. Because the cars are where they are the cameras have a blindspot. This is an example of the canopy but not my folks' house. We have no garage or drive, just a front garden/lawn.

271002_1.jpg

Someone has vandlaised our property by going under the canopy and damaging plants and turf, looks like spraying or pouring something corrosive on them. This has no doubt happened on a night/early hours.

I have researched the IP systems but only have about £250/$400 which is peanuts. I am interested in getting an IP System in the future but I reckon I will need at least double my budget for anything decent. I also do not fancy putting expensive IP cameras under the canopy which would mean someone could get to them easily and steal them. I could have one in the window again for better images of the cars though.

My idea was to get 2 new analog cameras to add to the exisiting swann DVR. Then try to make them as covert as possible outside under the canopy. I tested the Swann 535 650TVL cams on a night outside and they get some decent images because there is decent street lighting, enough to see if it is anybody coming out of a house in the street and sneeking under the window line of the houses.

I can get 2 of these for about £50/$75. However, I was wondering if I could get anything smaller than these cameras but have similar quality images. Do you guys know of any particular cameras that would be suitable? Or can you think of any other ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you definitely need to upgrade to HD over coax, you can use the same analog cables... but you will need to upgrade the DVR... http://www.amazon.com/ANRAN-Channels-Definition-Real-time-Surveillance/dp/B00SGMVTRW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1430947921&sr=8-5&keywords=AHD+kit

this is a good system... but you CAN get better resolution that this with the new 1080P AHD

http://www.amazon.com/iSmart-Outdoor-Security-1500TVL-Connection/dp/B00TAB0DRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430948027&sr=8-1&keywords=1080P+AHD+kit this one is only 4 channel, but the resolution will be outstanding! this is a good one too http://www.amazon.com/Proxy-PBHD8087-Channel-Package-Weatherproof/dp/B00QYIM4RY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430948027&sr=8-2&keywords=1080P+AHD+kit

CCTV IS NOT A WEAPON OF REVENGE and you'd be naive to reduce it to such.

Obviously we would most of use be sorry to hear you have suffered some vandalism and if you want to take measures to minimise the likelihood of a re occurrence, that would be perfectly reasonable.

Only an idiot would set themselves up a CCTV system then sit in wait until they are vandalised AGAIN

Even if you do catch someone in the act, you have no idea whether or not they perpetrated the first vandalism, so you are no better off and stupidly you've allowed yourself to become a victim and paid for the privilege.

You are right to worry about cameras being stolen as unfortunately this does happen, it's been said before placement is everything.

In such cases a hidden camera IS justified but consider signage as an important element in the system. i.e an intruder does not need to see cameras to know they are there but it would help if they can see some.

ALWAYS REMEMBER

AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN A POUND OF CURE

I am not calling anyone stupid, just saying examine what you are doing a bit closer, be objective and don't make vengeance your life's work. I am sure you have better things to occupy your time as we all do.

PS good luck with your IP system

peaceflwr, thank you for the reply and those links. I shall do some more research on those items. I also like the idea of a hybrid system.

Numb-nuts, thank you for the reply. I agree with some of your points. However, I believe that if someone wants to damage your items/property they will do so. Advertising you have CCTV to that kind of people will do little to prevent them from doing it, it will only benefit them as they will be more likely to take measures to conceal their identity or use someone else to do it for them. Random people eg. tipsy youths , naughty kids etc,it is a deterrent, malicious, sly people it is less likely to be so. It is better to have the opportunity, maybe only a small one in some cases, of having the knowledge and evidence of who the people are than to be totally(maybe not totally) in the dark. I don't believe malicious revenge against that type of person is of any use either as it only acts as a catalyst to them.

"don't make vengeance your life's work" I also totally agree with you on this point, it should be more of a hobby than your life's work

peaceflwr, thank you for the reply and those links. I shall do some more research on those items. I also like the idea of a hybrid system.

Numb-nuts, thank you for the reply. I agree with some of your points. However, I believe that if someone wants to damage your items/property they will do so. Advertising you have CCTV to that kind of people will do little to prevent them from doing it, it will only benefit them as they will be more likely to take measures to conceal their identity or use someone else to do it for them. Random people eg. tipsy youths , naughty kids etc,it is a deterrent, malicious, sly people it is less likely to be so. It is better to have the opportunity, maybe only a small one in some cases, of having the knowledge and evidence of who the people are than to be totally(maybe not totally) in the dark. I don't believe malicious revenge against that type of person is of any use either as it only acts as a catalyst to them.

"don't make vengeance your life's work" I also totally agree with you on this point, it should be more of a hobby than your life's work

youre welcome, and very nicely put!!

I am pleased you saw the merit in what I was saying and likewise I see your point about advertising and it's true they can take measures to hide their faces and given that scenario in the face of being accused of entrapment I think you would have a valid argument for using a mixture of overt and coverts are used.