Sign in to follow this  
habsfan

Light source behind camera causing night vision issue

Setup some Hikvision DS-2cd2032 and the day time view is fine, however at night, the nightvision is not working. I'm assuming this is because of a light source (sign) behind the camera. Aside from the obvious of moving the camera or shutting off the sign is there anything I can do about this? I am using Blue Iris software.

I will attach some pics of the issue and one during the day so you can see the area.

night.thumb.JPG.25ccf72a714d39b3625fd6c4d47b96e7.JPG

night2.thumb.JPG.f3bb6773b003126dfebd9701cc82dc74.JPG

day.jpg.b79072d18e206f9f37059bbfa2cbd271.jpg

Setup some Hikvision DS-2cd2032 and the day time view is fine, however at night, the nightvision is not working. I'm assuming this is because of a light source (sign) behind the camera. Aside from the obvious of moving the camera or shutting off the sign is there anything I can do about this? I am using Blue Iris software.

I will attach some pics of the issue and one during the day so you can see the area.

It's call masking

login to camera and mask wall on right side of your picture

Some thoughts...

Re-aim camera away from wall. (I know, everyone is going to say that)

You might want to switch that cam to 3MP mode which is a 4:3 aspect image. The taller and narrower image would help you in this case as most of your image width right now is wasted on that washed out wall. Re-aim the cam a bit too after that to exclude as much wall as you can.

Try playing with the backlight compensation setting in the camera (BLC Area). Try setting it to the 'Left' side of the image. This will tell the camera to prioritize the exposure for the left side of the image, away from that bright wall.

Is that the camera's IR light at night, or the light from the sign? It sure looks like the camera's own IR blasting on that wall. If so, the sign's light might not be much of the problem, and may in fact help once you get this set up better.

Thanks for the replies. Didn't realize it was the IR light blasting of the building. Pointing the camera away from the building has helped quite a bit. I had the issue with 2 cams so one the night vision now comes on and works great. The other in the front is now picking up the whole sign, but the light from the sign is providing enough light to get a decent image even without the night vision coming on. I'll play around with the aspect ratio and BLC this weekend but glad the image is visible at night now. Thanks!

Hik's BLC control is a weak point in their firmware. Many cams let you draw a box you want to use for BLC, and Hik only lets you select a general image area, which is not well designed. Still, it can help with a gross exposure problem like this one.

Wow, over 1/3 of the camera image is wall!

yea.. lets move that camera over a lil and get some better actual footage