blowrabbit

whole new Breed of DVR GE's Symdec vsr-4-300

Has anyone installed one of these dvr's? It's a hybred for both IP and analoge cameras recording all 4 channels in D1 resolution. Streaming video and audio.

1] remote software dosn't use port 80 forwarding

2] it has no controlls on the unit it has to be 9 pin connected to a computer

3] removable HDD

4] one or four channel only

5] wonder if you can get extra HDD's ge support did not know?

Any help is apprec. Thanks.

no but a GE Rep is on the forum now, he works for their Camera Department but im sure we can ask ... are you interested?

I tried to get more info on that unit (and the client software) about 4 months ago or more. The specs looked really good and I liked the "hybrid" platform, but it didn't have motion detection which was disappointing.

i got it up and running but the real fun starts as i am going to set up the remote viewing. with the ability of using additional hdd's [one for each week this unit should rock, and the hdd's maxtor 300gb cost around $150.00 if you know where to buy them.

regarding the symdec, it does not use wavelet it use's a sophisticated algorithm, Mpeg4. This kind of compression acts like motion detection as it only records the changing images, unlike other types of compression. So this dvr does 4 channels each at 30fps for a total of 120fps . D1 in four channels at once.

Yeah but what software does it use .. ??

WaveReader also works with their new Jpeg2000 BTW.

it uses software called Video Navigator. it is not wavereader and they are not compatable but whos to say you couldnt run both on a desktop. you do need a cpu /pentiun 2.8GHz or faster, 512 MB RAM, Windows 2000 SPA4, XP SP2.

interesting to note all controlls are via a pc or remote keyboard as the unit has no local controlls.

check out symnav software at...

http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESecurity/menuitem.f76d98ccce4cabed5efa421766030730?selectedID=668&seriesyn=false&t=prod

I just talked to a salesperson at ADI in my corner of the states and he said that the gaming industry here has just purchased over 60 of the Symdecs. I can see why as it would suit their purposes. Streaming 4 channels of D1 using Mpeg 4 compression on a 300 or 600 GBHD. thats one or two weeks respectively of real time recording. The price is about half of a well equiped DVRMe.