MrDRC

Video Format Issues - Hikvision

After posting here and getting some good suggestions for my needs (evidence for court) I ended up with 5 Hikvision cameras, two DS-2CD2632 Vari-Focals and three 2CD2032 3MP 4MM's. They are all feeding a DS-7616NI over POE.

So far I am getting good usable footage although I am needing to bump my bitrate a bit more to get the pristine quality I want but my main question concerns Hikvisions video codec in the NVR. After exporting the files and attempting to import to Sony Vegas Pro I get an error stating the format is not supported. The files are all MP4's which should import but after running mediainfo I'm seeing atypical details on the files which required me to recode for Vegas to accept them. The recoding process seemed to deteriorate the video sharpness and wonder if Hikvision's codecs are proprietary and if so, what is the work around to maintain video quality when having to recode the files to a standard MP4 or any other standardized file that will play nice with Vegas Pro? Anyone have insight on this?

Thanks,

DRC

Here is media info's file attributes:

General

Complete name : D:\Security Camera Lake footage\Secutiry Camera Footage\d1.mp4

Format : MPEG-PS

File size : 13.2 MiB

Duration : 29s 28ms

Overall bit rate : 3808 Kbps

Video

ID : 224 (0xE0)

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : Main@L5

Format settings, CABAC : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames

Duration : 29s 28ms

Bit rate : 3 732 Kbps

Width : 2 048 pixels

Height : 1 536 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 4:3

Frame rate mode : Variable

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : Progressive

Stream size : 12.9 MiB (98%)

Color range : Limited

Color primaries : BT.709

Transfer characteristics : BT.709

Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Text

ID : 189 (0xBD)

Format : RLE

Format/Info : Run-length encoding

Duration : 27s 261ms

I'll also follow this up and ask if anyone knows if Hikvision NVR's re-encode the files when exporting to external USB drive? I was wondering if they are using a proprietary AVC or h.264 when exporting the video files and if in fact the files on the hard drives might be encoded differently.

Edited by Guest

Hi. Question is why not just backup direct from recorder ?

If this is for court use ....... Altering format and using another software is going to remove its watermark or electronic signature . That makes your footage useless in court

Hi. Question is why not just backup direct from recorder ?

If this is for court use ....... Altering format and using another software is going to remove its watermark or electronic signature . That makes your footage useless in court

I just posted my followup while you where posting and suggesting if the same thing was even possible. Just accessing the HD's directly with my laptop and getting the native files is doable I suppose. I was only using Vegas to make a better presentation of the evidence while the original files would still submitted as exhibits. Its easier to illustrate the facts for lawyers, judges and jurors if it flows better instead of random clips from 5 different cameras.

The watermark/time stamp info does not disappear when re-encoding. Im just changing the codec from what I assume is a proprietary Hikvision codec so I can present the evidence more fluidly.

The watermark/time stamp info does not disappear when re-encoding. Im just changing the codec from what I assume is a proprietary Hikvision codec so I can present the evidence more fluidly.

Hi watermark and signature. Are not visible on footage.... Don't get mixed up with OSD.

HIK All you do is backup ... Create file ..... Click ok burn to MEM pen ...... It adds player automatically

Then you either give pen or burn off pen to a DVD.

That is the right way for court

Re format and court or there lawyer will just ask for it to be removed ...... Not original

Hi watermark and signature. Are not visible on footage.... Don't get mixed up with OSD.

HIK All you do is backup ... Create file ..... Click ok burn to MEM pen ...... It adds player automatically

Then you either give pen or burn off pen to a DVD.

That is the right way for court

Re format and court or there lawyer will just ask for it to be removed ...... Not original

In Canada "backup" will not be accepted in court

Backup is copy

Backup is copy

hi. AK. yes the same in the uk

native file ... pick and burn is not a option on the hik

burn key is marked as backup. just kept it easy for ops direction.

Backup is copy

hi. AK. yes the same in the uk

native file ... pick and burn is not a option on the hik

burn key is marked as backup. just kept it easy for ops direction.

Police simply confiscate unit for while

happen to few of my customers

was homicide investigation

Pick and burn is absolutely an option on the 7616 NVR. You can pick whatever clips you want from the list of clips and export to USB.

I am not altering the original clip in any way. I am only using copies of the original clips so the electronic time stamp is not changed. I know the difference between OSD and file properties advanced data info.

Fortunately my situation is not a murder case or anything that serious but its serious enough. I am having a real estate dispute over a property line. In my jurisdiction I am allowed to submit illustrations based on combined video footage and submit original clips as support evidence.

Anyway, my original questions remain unanswered regarding the hikvision codecs. Does anyone have any input?

Edited by Guest

Use Hikvision's "Video Format Convert Tool", or Hikvision's "VSPlayer". I think both of them will allow you to convert the native Hikvision format to something else (DivX, whatever) and work from there.

I am not altering the original clip in any way. I am only using copies of the original clips so the electronic time stamp is not changed. I know the difference between OSD and file properties advanced data info.

Well no you don't ......... Electronic signature and watermark WILL ALWAYS SHOW TAMPERED

ONCE you have burnt off footage and it plays on PC you have another option ....... Save as AVI then you can edit on many video edit programmes

Well no you don't ......... Electronic signature and watermark WILL ALWAYS SHOW TAMPERED

ONCE you have burnt off footage and it plays on PC you have another option ....... Save as AVI then you can edit on many video edit programmes

I appreciate the info and I mean no disrespect but how will it show tampered when an original file is taken of the disk and untouched? Just copying it doesnt leave a data signature. You can easily parse out the original file attributes so I am confused with how it will show tampered. Of course the easiest way is to just give hard disk to other side. This is a civil case, not a criminal case, so police are not involved.

Use Hikvision's "Video Format Convert Tool", or Hikvision's "VSPlayer". I think both of them will allow you to convert the native Hikvision format to something else (DivX, whatever) and work from there.

Ahhhh...I didnt know such a tool existed as I couldnt find it on the main Hikvision site but now see its located on the European site. THANK YOU! I'll have to check it out and play with it.

Hikvisions VSPlayer is just "ok" and I didnt look to see if it would convert the files. What I find odd is why Hikvision chose a proprietary AVC codec. Maybe they didnt want to pay a license fee to Main Concepts or Sony or whoever but proprietary codecs are always a pain. I will have to check out the untouched files on the HD's and see what format they are in. Its possible the linux based system in HIK's NVR's are converting the files as they are transferred off disk to USB. Lots to investigate about Hik's file format methods.

Regardless, I am super pleased with HIK's camera quality, 7616 NVR and the feedback from all the knowledgeable members of this site. I have learned much from just reading and wish I was here before I installed a system at my main house (crappy TVL cameras). It cant touch HIK's camera quality and POE is a super clean way to install. I just need to up my bitrate high enough but thats easy to change and based on the system info I have enough bandwidth to do so.

Thanks for the feedback.

DRC

Heres a screen shot from one of 2032's.

66813218_ScreenShot.thumb.jpg.7aeb7260d84110cb53ae770b565ae7b9.jpg

Like others here, I seem to be unable to convert any of the files from an export.

I have tried to use HikVision's file converter but it is in chinese. Not sure if anyone else has this problem but I am unable to download any file from HikVision, the only option I have is to open the files from source.

As a new Hikvision customer I am beginning to wonder if I have wasted my money on the DVR. The whole point of buying a DVR is to export video files in a readable (useable) format.

Hikvision will be getting no more of my hard earned and that is a certainty.

Many surveillance cameras require conversion before playing on standard players. VSPlayer allows for conversion in the toolbox icon. It is a time consuming process. WinXD Video Converter Deluxe also works well. My only issue with it is it seems to top out at 1920x1080p.

Your best bet is likely VSPlayer - free download from Hikvision. Open the player, click on the toolbox, select convert. After you add the files make sure you change the output from Hik to MP4 or AVI.

http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/Tools_82.html

Thank you N2S

I followed your suggestion and tried downloading VSPlayer, once again it refused to download. I then copied the download link and opened it a new window ...Voilla! VSPlayer downloaded and installed without any problem and the icing on the cake ...it includes FormatConverter v.4 ...in English

This doesn't change my view of Hikvision ...until they provide a choice of export formats.

Really appreciate the help N2S, and thanks again