cabottaxi

Inline Microphone problems

I tried to introduce an inline microphone to one of my cameras. Full HD SDI camera followed all the instructions but have run in to problems. The camera was fitted due to anti social behaviour by a neighbour.I have RG59 cable and was under the impression that an extra cable would have to be run to the camera therefore a 20m phono to phono cable was brought in to the equation. Is there something missing here. I connected everything up including attaching the phono cable to the audio connection on the back of the hybrid DVR but still no luck. Can anyone throw any light on what I am doing wrong. Many thanks

What is the impedance rating for the microphone and am I reading this as you used RG59 cable for the mic?

Also how are you powering the microphone?

It's powered inline through the camera. A phono cable was introduced to take the audio back to the Audio input of the DVR. Not sure if a specification sheet was included in the post.

Found out the spec by doing a bit of research. Frequency range is 200-10khz and the output impedance is 600 ohms.

What type of cable are you using to take the audio back you aren't very clear about how you've wired it.

You should use 4mm (min) screened audio cable for predictable results. Powering from the camera is okay if there is enough current reaching the camera

Are you using an amplified speaker on the audio output?

The first time I attached a mic I got caught out this way and also theere may be an icon on the channel that corresponds to the mic i.e audio 1 = channel 1

Only one channel at a time can play audio sound or you would hear a cocophony of diffenet sounds so althugh they would all recod you could only listen to one at a time.

These little details although they sound very obvious aren't always that obvious to a first timer. Even now after years I still have to think these things through carefully myself so don't be discouraged.

BTW: That audio cable should be fine.

Completely un-related here...How do I post on this site. It has been a while and I dont see a link to post a new question / topic. Help!!