eyal8r

iVMS Saving on PC instead of NVR

Hey guys-

Hopefully a quick newbie question here- running iVMS-4200 on my PC. However, I have a Hikvision NVR setup and connected to all my cameras. I thought I had it configured correctly, until my local drive on my PC maxed out in space after a few days. It seems that the Saving Path is pointed to my local PC. How do I point it back to the NVR on the network? by IP Address?

The NVR has 2 drives in it- I assumed that it would know that, and span the data across both drives, and then re-write over it when that space ran out. Is that not the case, do I have to manually tell it to do that?

Thanks for all the help!

Hey guys-

Hopefully a quick newbie question here- running iVMS-4200 on my PC. However, I have a Hikvision NVR setup and connected to all my cameras. I thought I had it configured correctly, until my local drive on my PC maxed out in space after a few days. It seems that the Saving Path is pointed to my local PC. How do I point it back to the NVR on the network? by IP Address?

The NVR has 2 drives in it- I assumed that it would know that, and span the data across both drives, and then re-write over it when that space ran out. Is that not the case, do I have to manually tell it to do that?

Thanks for all the help!

ivms should impact nvr recording...one has nothing to do with the other...have you checked the NVR itself?

Why are you running ivms if you are using the nvr?

Thanks for the reply!

Oh man, I didn't know that. I setup iVMS thinking it connected to the NVR (which I did during setup) and then controlled the NVR.

The NVR is setup in a closer, mounted high on a wall where I can't even get a monitor in there. I thought I could just control the NVR from the network via IP address or iVMS. I guess that's not the case? What do you suggest?

Thanks for the reply!

Oh man, I didn't know that. I setup iVMS thinking it connected to the NVR (which I did during setup) and then controlled the NVR.

The NVR is setup in a closer, mounted high on a wall where I can't even get a monitor in there. I thought I could just control the NVR from the network via IP address or iVMS. I guess that's not the case? What do you suggest?

You can log into the nvr directly and control it from your pc..you dont need ivms running for the nvr to work...

Right. I didn't like various issues I was having with connecting in the browser. So are you suggesting just ditch iVMS and connect solely thru the browser?

Right. I didn't like various issues I was having with connecting in the browser. So are you suggesting just ditch iVMS and connect solely thru the browser?

You could actually get it configured right with iVMS. But since it seems you didn't do it, and if you do not want to record locally on the computer, yes, it would be easier to just use the web interface on the NVR.

So I feel like a total idiot here. I gave up on iVMS because I couldn't get it to stop recording to my PC harddrive, instead of the DVR HDD. I now access it via the web browser- and it's saving all my files on my PC! I can go into the configuration screen and tell it where to store them- is there a way to direct it back to the NVR itself? Do I put in the IP Address for the URL on the Config screen? I'd appreciate any help you can!

Thanks!

Nope- that doesn't work. It doesn't let me type URLs in, can only click the Browse button. Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

You should really take a look at the manual of your NVR to see how to configure the unit... Maybe try to hook it up to a monitor, and use it with a mouse? You are really confusing how to use the NVR, and how to record locally on a computer, so it might be good for you to remote the computer from the equation.

Or post snapshots on what you are doing, and how, so we can get a laugh at you, but hopefully get you on the right track too

HA! Yeah, the whole idea is to run the NVR WITHOUT hooking up a monitor- but network into it via iVMS or the web. Apparently, it's not possible. I did read the manual- it really only gives instructions for setting it up on the NVR itself. So, I guess I have to hook up a monitor to the thing, THEN network into it later. Then, I guess I have to do it all over again if the power goes out... unless there's another way?

HA! Yeah, the whole idea is to run the NVR WITHOUT hooking up a monitor- but network into it via iVMS or the web. Apparently, it's not possible. I did read the manual- it really only gives instructions for setting it up on the NVR itself. So, I guess I have to hook up a monitor to the thing, THEN network into it later. Then, I guess I have to do it all over again if the power goes out... unless there's another way?

You can log into the NVR without hooking a monitor up to it...power going out will not affect any settings...

It is possible. You can use the NVR without a monitor. You can configure everything without the need of a monitor and mouse, if you know how to do it, which seems is not the case...

Everything that can be set up on the NVR itself can also be set up through the web interface on the configuration tab.

Right- so on the configuration tab, all I can do is navigate to a LOCAL folder for my storage options, which is exactly what the NVR is doing. How do I get it to actually store is on the HDDs inside the NVR instead?

Right- so on the configuration tab, all I can do is navigate to a LOCAL folder for my storage options, which is exactly what the NVR is doing. How do I get it to actually store is on the HDDs inside the NVR instead?

I don't meen to be rude, but this is clearly a case of PBKAC.

On the configuration tab you have plenty of things to configure. You have local config, which might (or might not) be where you are now, and you have remote config. I would bother on making screenshots and posting them, but I really won't do so if you don't even bother to post screenshots youself so we can point you in the right way.

I'm in the Remote Config. Which menu option tells it to STOP recording locally to my PC, and record to the NVR instead? I don't see that option ANYWHERE.

I've attached a screen for you. Not sure which menu option specifically you'd like to see under the Remote Configuration section...

screen.thumb.jpg.731ed4701a92e41ffc129143fa644b93.jpg

So- here's the deal-

YES, I see both menus- one for Local Config, one for Remote config. What I Don't see is how you choose one method over the other? I've configured the cameras, system, etc etc all within Remote Config menus. Yet, the system still records to the PC HDD, and NOT to the NVR. So, again, if there's no option to specifically tell it which you want (local or remote), how do you get it to switch from Local to Remote, or vice-versa?

I'm in the Remote Config. Which menu option tells it to STOP recording locally to my PC, and record to the NVR instead? I don't see that option ANYWHERE.

I've attached a screen for you. Not sure which menu option specifically you'd like to see under the Remote Configuration section...

Go to:

Camera settings -> Schedule (I think that is the name, I have it in spanish).

Do you have recording enabled for your cameras? Have you set up any schedules, so they record 24/7, they record on motion, or whatever? (well, we do know what the answer is, right? )

temp.jpg.0932744f41414dd6f5ee7b93a4d8b5d8.jpg

iVMS can be confusing until you get used to it, The web browser is a lot easier to use , you can set up everything via the web browser, no need to use monitor and mouse directly. The nvr by default records to the hard disk that you have installed in it . Go to configuration > HDD Management > you will see the HD , its size etc. if you have not formatted it the nvr will be beeping all the time until you do.

To get it to record either continuously or via motion detection you have to go to Camera Settings > Schedule Settings > tik Enable Record Schedule > Edit > drop down box > either Normal or Motion Detect , copy to week , select all , save

Then go to motion detection > tik box Enable Motion Detection ( if you want to only record motion activated video ) you have to do this for each camera.

You should be able to see all recorded video via via playback , what you see comes directly from the nvr.

Somewhere along the line you must have configured iVMS to record from the nvr directly to your pc where iVMS is running otherwise this will not happen automatically , you have to go back to iVMS on your pc and go to Record Schedule and have a look at what is activated.

Thanks for the reply guys. Maybe I'm just not making myself clear, here...

The cameras, recording schedule, etc- is all configured. Exactly the way you guys suggest. The problem is, it's saving all recorded video to my Desktop PC and not the NVR. NVR is NOT beeping, shows both hard drives installed (one is sleeping), everything looks great. It records video just fine. I can play it back, it replays just fine...

But if I go to the C: on my PC- delete out the saved videos, there's nothing left to playback (because I just deleted the video clips).

Again, it's not saving the videos to the NVR- it's saving it to my PC.

I've checked all settings in iVMS and Web Browser- both looks exactly the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply guys. Maybe I'm just not making myself clear, here...

The cameras, recording schedule, etc- is all configured. Exactly the way you guys suggest. The problem is, it's saving all recorded video to my Desktop PC and not the NVR. NVR is NOT beeping, shows both hard drives installed (one is sleeping), everything looks great. It records video just fine. I can play it back, it replays just fine...

But if I go to the C: on my PC- delete out the saved videos, there's nothing left to playback (because I just deleted the video clips).

Again, it's not saving the videos to the NVR- it's saving it to my PC.

I've checked all settings in iVMS and Web Browser- both looks exactly the same.

Any ideas?

The NVR is not saving the recorded video on your desktop PC; your desktop PC is saving the video on your desktop PC.

The NVR does not have any access to your computer hard drive, it is IMPOSSIBLE for it to save anything at all on your computer hard drive. If you are geting videos saved on your computer hard drive, you are either geting them because you have installed iVMS-4200 and told him to do so, or because you are recording them yourself from the NVR's web interface. What you say that the NVR records on your computer hard drive just can not be happening.

If you do not have any recording on your NVR's hard drives is because you have not configured recording right.