Hello Members,

Has anyone had experience with displaying cameras on 16:9 LCD monitors. I have a customer with 48 analog cameras and I'm looking at an IP solution with could display several monitors.

Thanks.

Yeah I have done it on my HDTV big screen.

I have a VGA input and I had the resolution set to 1024x768 though.

Not the HDTV settings.

Yep .. im using one right now. You will need to pick the DVR/NVR software carefully though, alot of them dont go much higher than 1280 .. or some even only up to 1024x768 .

Is it going to be IP or DVR ..?

Hey Rory,

The issue is that they have one fairly new pelco Dx-8000 16ch. These pups are really expensive (even compared to GE or Sanyo). They will have a total of 48 cameras, so its either get 2 more DX8000 DVRs or look at other cost effective DVRs or look at IP servers and a suitable software program that can perform a virtual matrix switcher. (oh no that IP thing again ) They also need to upgrade the monitors. So I open to suggestions.

In general, I've been told that the A/V and computer industry is moving toward 16:9 displays.

Thanks!

That is what I use for my display.

That is definately happening it will take awhile, but less tubes are being made as they are phasing them out.

When I replaced my old 36" Toshiba tube montior I was informed they no longer manufacture them so I had to buy the HDTV.

If I were to go the IP route, does anyone have a recommendation for video servers? Most of the ones I see are 1 or 4 channel units...

4CIF or D1 quality on each channel.

Thanks

That's true. Could use their RMK-1000 rack mount with SED-2100s. I'm waiting for them to have stock in the US...

Any status reports?

Thanks

Thanks- I'll check them out. It appears the cost of single channel video encoders might be too coslty. I guess this makes sense when you consider the mechanical enclosures, I/Os and individual Ethernet ports. Looks Bosch is one of ther few companies offering encoders with over 4 channels.

DVRS still may be the most cost effective choice for this application. We could set up a couple of PCs with dual VGA ports driving lager LCDS and open several windows. This is why IP is so attractive because of the available, flexible softwave programs. Some even offer Virtual matrix switchers....

With IP you could just plug the cams into hubs and have access to them anywhere with a computer on the internet. You could have a dedicated PC at each location if you want. Only issue is bandwith and if you use a bunch of networkable DVR's, you can still use Visual Sentrys software to pull them alltogether if you wanted to.

Thanks members.

I'll check out Visual Sentry.

The Pelco display is an awsome approach. DLP is a great technology and can be field serviced. I didn't see how the signals are interfaced or configured...

Still looking for cost-effective encoders. Indigo Vision and Bosch seem to be the only ones producing encoders over 4 channels.

Thanks

The JVC VRN100U although stating up to 16 cameras, we can actually do up to 24 cameras per VRN. This said you will need to VRN100U's. These are Network Video Recorders. The other thing you will need is network encoders for the analog cameras. JVC also has the VN-E4U. This is a 4 channel Encoder. You can do a video wall with the VRN-100U. There is an actual tab on the software that says "Video Wall". This is where you can go and setup the video wall the way you want it. All we need to do is basically tell it what IP address the monitor is on. We also recommend using a parrallel network for the video. The great thing about the VRN-100U is that we use it as a bridge between the company network and the video network. Therefore we are not using bandwidth while storing video. We only use bandwidth when viewing over the network. Even then the bandwidth is minimal. The VRN also serves as a firewall between the company network and the cameras. The system runs on a linux kernal. There for it is not susceptable to viruses such as the windows based system. This could be your solution. Come check out the JVC booth at ISC West. We can show you all the features there.