while researching different covert or mini ip cams at alibaba, I read some are ONVIF but none standard. But isn't it ONVIF are supposed to set standard.. so what does none standard ONVIF mean? for one I think it means it can't be run in Hikvision, dahua NVRs that are ONVIF..

ONVIF (Profile S) is a standard protocol used on mainly on IP cameras and recorders. If a camera supports ONVIF Profile S and recorder supports ONVIF Profile S, they work together.

Now when a product claims it supports ONVIF, make sure it really does from

http://www.onvif.org/FindaProduct/ProfileProducts.aspx

This official search will tell you if the camera actually supports ONVIF. There are many cameras on the market that give you a big shiny ONVIF logo and claim they support ONVIF, when in reality they don't.

ONVIF (Profile S) is a standard protocol used on mainly on IP cameras and recorders. If a camera supports ONVIF Profile S and recorder supports ONVIF Profile S, they work together.

Now when a product claims it supports ONVIF, make sure it really does from

http://www.onvif.org/FindaProduct/ProfileProducts.aspx

This official search will tell you if the camera actually supports ONVIF. There are many cameras on the market that give you a big shiny ONVIF logo and claim they support ONVIF, when in reality they don't.

In http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KA4M4WS/ref=s9_simh_gw_p421_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1Z7FG4M2G62ADG6GN5ZR&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

I read the first user comment:

"* ONVIF support is non standard and none of the normal ONVIF tools such as the ONVIF Device Config tool support it."

So you are saying instead of "ONVIF support is non standard". It's more right to say "There is no ONVIF at all"?

I agree with mkkoskin about checking ONVIF's site / official directory. One thing that is not always true is this:

"If a camera supports ONVIF Profile S and recorder supports ONVIF Profile S, they work together."

Usually, if both devices are Profile S conformant and listed on the official ONVIF site, at least basic streaming and configuration will work. However, it is not guaranteed. There are still some instances of combinations not working.

The other major issue even with official Profile S conformance, is that more advanced features, like PTZ controls, camera side VMD, analytics, etc., may not work. Camera side VMD is the most commonly used feature that frequently does not work with Profile S. If you need that, verify that your particular preferred combination of IP camera / VMS supports it.

Usually, if both devices are Profile S conformant and listed on the official ONVIF site, at least basic streaming and configuration will work. However, it is not guaranteed. There are still some instances of combinations not working.

Good correction. However some of these non-working instances can be solved with a firmware update, as the firmware conformant is listed on the DoC.

ONVIF actually updated their policies (I believe it was Sept 2014) and made their conformance process a bit better. Now the cameras actually must be tested on several devices and devices on several cameras, so cameras and devices tested after Sept 2014 will probably work together with higher possibility.

The features are also a big questionmark on most cases, as most of the features are optional, and mostly only mandatory features are supported.

Look under Zhe Jiang Dahua on the ONVIF list. That is Dahua's official company name. Many Chinese company names start with their province.

That said, ONVIF could / should make it easier by listing Dahua under 'Dahua' instead.