Sign in to follow this  
radiohead319

NVR query - connect more than one camera to a port?

I'm new to this CCTV stuff but have some IP experience. I have three questions - see below.

Background

I plan to buy a standalone NVR - probably the Hikvision DS-7608NI and 7 or 8 cameras. I'll have 3 IP cameras that are remote from the house - so I plan to connect those to a 4/5 port POE switch and then backhaul them back using a couple of 5GHz WiFi AP's (Ubiquiti or Trendnet) to the NVR in the house.

My questions

1. Would that NVR (and equivalent units) allow me to connect the combined 3 cameras into one port of the NVR? ie: I'm asking does the NVR act like a normal layer 3 switch and would the NVR software allow me to search for the cameras (presumably by static IP address) and connect to them? Sorry if this is a stoopid question!

2. Is it possible to turn-off the POE on the NVR? The 5GHz WiFi units have their own proprietary POE, so I don't want to blow them up!

3. Finally a more generic IP networking query. I'm presuming IP cameras (I'll have 7 or generate a reasonable amount of traffic that I might not want on the rest of the home LAN. Thus I'm presuming I'll set all the CCTV stuff to a different subnet. ie: say 192.168.1.xxx for domestic network and 192.168.2.xxx for CCTV. Next I'm guessing that means I would not be able to interrogate the NVR (on network 2) from a PC on the home network (network 1). Anyone got any bright ideas how to solve that - or is it just a matter of using p2p software as if I was accessing remotely?

Thanks for any help

1. Would that NVR (and equivalent units) allow me to connect the combined 3 cameras into one port of the NVR? ie: I'm asking does the NVR act like a normal layer 3 switch and would the NVR software allow me to search for the cameras (presumably by static IP address) and connect to them? Sorry if this is a stoopid question!

It should work but I've not tested that. Some of the hikvision nvr's come with one port for camera input so you can supply your own POE switch in front, but I would assume the POE NVR's work the same. Unfortunately I don't have time to test it for you for several days now.

2. Is it possible to turn-off the POE on the NVR? The 5GHz WiFi units have their own proprietary POE, so I don't want to blow them up!

* I don't recall there being an option for that, but there are two solutions. Put the output from your WiFI POE into a non poe switch and then connect that to the nvr.

* Wire up a custom ethernet cable with the POE wires cut.

* Connecting your Wifi POE should not blow anything up as ethernet uses differential signalling, but you'd best be careful as custom POE can mean anything. You would have to check this all out with your custom WiFi AP provider.

3. Finally a more generic IP networking query. I'm presuming IP cameras (I'll have 7 or generate a reasonable amount of traffic that I might not want on the rest of the home LAN. Thus I'm presuming I'll set all the CCTV stuff to a different subnet. ie: say 192.168.1.xxx for domestic network and 192.168.2.xxx for CCTV. Next I'm guessing that means I would not be able to interrogate the NVR (on network 2) from a PC on the home network (network 1). Anyone got any bright ideas how to solve that - or is it just a matter of using p2p software as if I was accessing remotely?

Thanks for any help

You can use a router to connect the two lans.

But in any case two lans are not needed:

a) the Hivision NVR won't send data from the camera ports out the NVR lan port unless you are watching a video stream.

(Typically hikvision plug & play NVRs reconfigure your cameras to be on a separate lan anyway, and the LAN port on the NVR will be on your home network, it thus acts similarly to a router)

b) your NVR will be connected to a switch and that will only send data to where it needs to go, thus not affecting your other devices.

I use Ubiquiti equipment (with their proprietary PoE injectors) connected to PoE switches all the time. The switch doesn't see the device connected as PoE capable, so never tries to provide power on the line. Also, the Ubiquiti injector cuts the standard PoE power lines (brown and blue pairs) between the device and switch.