CmdrBond

iVMS / NVR and WAN cameras

I am in the process of setting up my first system, I am still waiting for the components to arrive.

I am currently waiting for some HikVision DS-2CD2132F-IS cameras and a DS-7108N-IS NVR.

I don't plan on recording to my PC with iVMS, however I do have a friend who is interested in the system I am installing and they have 2 locations they want to cover.

Before I ordered the Hiks, I briefly had some SwannEye HD ADS-460's and whilst testing them I noticed that their software showed LAN and WAN connections.

I didn't try it, but I was presuming that the SwannEye HD Pro software would allow live/scheduled/motion recording of both LAN and WAN cameras to the local HDD - not just transferring off the in built SD Cards.

On to the iVMS and the Hik NVR...

I am guessing that the NVR will only allow recording of directly connected cameras, but it would be interesting if it did allow for recording from WAN cameras.

But what about iVMS - will that allow attaching of WAN cameras and recording directly to a local disk?

My friend will very likely be connecting to a PC and wishes to cover their home and their business.

It won't be a big issue if not, as the cameras will record to in built SD, but that will restrict them to motion recording only and not 24/7.

Any camera with an IP address/port can be used, LAN/WAN all the same.

The WAN bandwidth will be the only limitation and your ability to make sure all the addresses are accessible.

The WAN bandwidth will be the only limitation and your ability to make sure all the addresses are accessible.

So your saying even the NVR will connect to a WAN camera (bandwidth permitting)?

So your saying even the NVR will connect to a WAN camera (bandwidth permitting)?

If the WAN camera has an IP address and is accessible, then there is no difference.

It needs an IP address, it can not use a name.

If the WAN camera has an IP address and is accessible, then there is no difference.

It needs an IP address, it can not use a name.

Gotcha.

Obviously the swan system somehow tunnels IP's as you log into their servers to register and connect cameras.

So with this system, you would somehow have to make the IP of one site visible to the other to be able to connect them.

Thank you.

I just played with using a name and not an IP address, it accepts it.

So I take back what I said above, as I had never used the name before.

Yep, as long as you expose/forward the remote address of the camera, you will be ok.

You can configure the data bandwidth that will be taken up by each camera via the NVR config screens.