Sign in to follow this  
wirenut386

Q-See (QT Series) IP cameras and POE voltage

I have recently spent a good chunk of money on what i hope is a nice IP camera/NVR setup. I have a rather big issue that i would like someone to verify for me. I reference the chat session with one of their support people, please let me know if what they have stated is actually correct?

Hi, my name is Jason Smith. How may I help you?

Adam Smith: The intention is for these cameras to be deployed over my enterprise network that currently utilizes POE switches for our Cisco phones. As we all know the POE standard, and what these Cisco POE switches supply are 48 volts. It seems from what limited information i can gather on the knowledge base these cameras are based on 12v. My question is will these cameras function correctly on all standard compliant POE systems or am i forced to buy special POE injectors for every camera we deploy in our environment?

Jason Smith: Where was the camera purchased from?

Adam Smith: Home depot, but it was shipped directly from your company

Adam Smith: im unsure of the exact model, but I know its the QT series.

Jason Smith: You would need a POE switch of 12V output.

Adam Smith: So its not standard compliant?

Jason Smith: You can purchase one directly from Q-See which is a 8 channel by which you can eliminate purchasing individual POE injector for each camera.

Adam Smith: So then it should not be labeled POE - POE is a standard

Jason Smith: The POE that uses for these cameras are 12 Volts. It is certainly different from IP Phones and the regular IP Cameras

Jason Smith: The POE port on our NVR's are also 12 V output.

Adam Smith: It says nothing about this anywhere in your product documentation that this is not "REAL" POE and cant be used in any environment that actually uses POE.

Adam Smith: So now I have spent $2100 on a system I can not use unless I buy an adapter for each camera

Jason Smith: As explained earlier the standard POE port for all our IP cameras are 12 V. Its the same I've seen with few other 3rd party also.

Adam Smith: POE is not 12v

Jason Smith: Ip cameras work with 12 V

Adam Smith: then it's not POE...

Adam Smith: I get your point, it would just have been nice that its noted somewhere that this system works with zero real network equipment.

Jason Smith: The standard POE port on an NVR is also recommended 12 V. I agree with the industrial standard but it's a point of difference of a IP Phone and an IP Camera.

Adam Smith: my point is I don't get how it can be labled POE then, I was misled when I bought this system and now im expected to pay 100's more just to make this system work.

Jason Smith: Are you using an NVR?

Adam Smith: Yes, the one I bought from you

Adam Smith: all the cameras will be at different locations

Jason Smith: What is the model number of the NVR?

Adam Smith: so they can not connect to the "poe" on your device

Jason Smith: Okay I understand, the camera needs 12 V. You can either connect it to a 12 V POE switch or use an injector for each camera or just use a 12 V 1 Amp adapter at the camera's end.

Adam Smith: QT8416-4

Jason Smith: These are the options to connect the cameras

Adam Smith: your not getting my point - I was sold this system based on your documentation that it is POE - not POE with only your special 12v adapters

Jason Smith: As mentioned earlier, I understand your concern but these are the specifications & requirement.

Adam Smith: So can I get a discount on your 12v adapters or can I cant I get a label to ship this all back to your company for a full refund.

Jason Smith: I am sorry I would not be able to take a call on that, You can call sales however no promises can be made from my end.

Jason Smith: 877-998-3440 option 3

He's probably mistaken, though that wouldn't be the first camera to do that (cheapo Panasonics, for one).

The reason to go 48 volts is the drop over distance on the tiny wires. 12 volts would be ... well, you could calculate the drop based on wire gauge and temperature -- google it -- too much of a voltage drop at 300 feet. So, at the camera, the 48 volts (what's left of it) is taken back down to 12 volts (or whatever it ultimately requires). Maybe that's where the other Smith is confused. Or not.

You could always measure the voltage yourself. Get a throw-away cable and cut an end off. Find the wires to test. Hook it up to a VOM. If there's 12 V he's right. If it's 48 he's not.

P.S. If he's right then only those cameras could work on that machine.

If they are qsee cameras and nvr they will be 802.3af compliant...why dont you plug the cameras into the nvr and see for yourself?

I dont want to plug them in directly to the NVR. They will be distributed over our campus to misc POE switches.

Then you will need to hook them up to the poe switches...the qsee cameras are standard compliant - they are usually simply rebranded Dahua...if you post an image of the camera or a model number it will help - or a link.

So you bought cameras from Home Depot for an enterprise environment?

Outstanding " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />

The word "Home" in Home depot should have been a clue

So you bought cameras from Home Depot for an enterprise environment?

Outstanding " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />

The word "Home" in Home depot should have been a clue

+1

and then He visit CCTV Forum (Home users) looking for help

wooow

Way to be a bunch **** in place of honest advice like the first response....Enjoy.

I'll give you some honest advice.

Send that $h!t back and get some decent equipment.

Axis

Avigilon

ACTi

Bosch

Sony

Panasonic

Pelco

Hikvision

Vivotek

Then get an Enterprise Class Server

And some good video management software

Avigilon

Genetec

Milestone

Way to be a bunch **** in place of honest advice like the first response....Enjoy.

The cameras you have are most likely not that bad. they probably are rebranded dahua...

They will work with your poe switches..whats the problem?

Post the model number of the camera.