Im thinking about installing a 6 to 8 1.3mp camera system. Before i make the purchase i was wondering if i should purchase a standalone 8ch poe nvr or now im seeing these nvr's with no poe ports and the ethernet cable from the nvr goes out to your switch and then all the cameras get powered via an 8 port poe switch. It looks like all the video traffic runs over your network instead of being direct to the nvr. By running all the cameras through a switch on your network, wont that bottleneck and clog up or slow down your network?

I currently have a hybrid system of IP cameras, 5 HD 720p cameras, and 8 standard IP cameras and my network is starting to bog down. Im looking into splitting it up with an NVR with built in POE to avoid this situation. Its for home use for me, not commercial. Network is bogged down, but things like netflix still stream fine. The cameras fail to connect sometimes because of this though.

A lot of the NVRs with built in poe put the cameras on a different subnet and the only traffic on the main network is from the NVR. This is how you want to set this up if you have more than a couple of cameras

so your NVR has 8 poe ports and a separate port for connection to the network camera traffic goes to the NVR but only the NVR is sending traffic to the main network.

That's my plan now.....go with the nvr with poe ports. Thanks.

You dont need to get an nvr with poe built in to accomplish this..all you need to do is hook the NVR and the cameras up to the same switch...it will have the same effect..traffic does not flow through the router if the devices are on the same switch...also consider simply using a gigabit switch and router with your current setup..no way those cameras will bog down a gigabit network...

NVR's with built in poe switches are generally very loud...so consider its location..

Thanks...never knew that's how it worked. I guess i have to look at the cost difference now between the poe nvr as apposed to having to buy a gigabit switch, a router and a power supply for the cameras.

Don't forget that the advantage of a separate switch instead of a poe nvr is that you can access each camera individually without going through the nvr. You really dont need a gigabite switch for up to 15 or 20 cameras, a 10/100 is more than enough. D-link have a 8 port Gigabit poe switch for about 100 euro and Netgear have a 10/100 24 port for about 250 euro . Remember you can only put 7 cameras on a 8 port switch , the other port connects to your router, 7 in 1 out