rory

Camera Suggestions For Manufacturers

What would you want your camera to consist of, if you were building it ..

For example some specifications and different types of cameras, like the Ultimate Vandal Dome Camera, Ultimate Box camera, etc //

This would be primarily for those of us that have not yet found a perfect camera yet .. after testing many of them .. so primarily installers and perhaps some reps ... either way, post away and lets see how we maybe able to steer the market a little bit ..

Edited by Guest

Ok Ill start it off ...

Vandal Resistant Dome:

Exview

Wide Dynamic Range

Color - 500TVL - 0.1 Lux

BW - 600TVL - 0.01 Lux

Mechanical IR Cut Filter

OSD >

Auto Focus Lens within OSD (not Zoom lens)

OSD controls the physical adjustment of the lens/camera

Network Controlled OSD programming/protocols

Has anyone tried the new Pan Focus camera from Sanyo.

rory, this answers most of your request for the ideal dome camera. I saw this camera at the ISC show. Pretty amazing DOF.

The new Sanyo Pan domes you are talking about are very good. the vandal versions are now available, and the indoor versions will be available next month.

anyone got a link ..?

Is it Wide Dynamic, True Day Night, Low Lux with Exview, OSD menu with programmable Protocols ..??

Also, is it just similar to the GE CyberScout?

I have seen a South Korean Dome with a Zoom Lens and all the works, only thing it was missing was PT and Wide Dynamic ..

Not looking for a PTZ dome like that, a regular dome ... basically i would buy a Pano if I wanted a PTZ with those features ...

Specs on Sanyo Pan Focus

VCC-P9574S

VCC-P9574N

Pan-Focus Day /Night Vandal Resistant Dome Camera[/b]

-No focus adjustments required

-Built in X2.6 motorized zoom pan focus lens,f=2.8-7.3mm lens(F=1.9-3.0)

-1/4" CCD type, Day/Night camera

-IR cut filter removable system

-Super horizontal res of 520 lines

- Min illumination:

-1.2 lux (F1.9, Color mode)

-0.06 lux (F1.9 B/W mode)

-Vandal resistant dome

-Built in motion detection and privacy masking functions

OPTIONAL ACCESSORIES INCLUDE:

VA-50H (24 AC heater board)

VA-50ST (SSP+twisted pairboard)

VA-50LAN (network board)

-24V AC/ STETdual power supply

Saw one of these at ADI (just getting wire). This was one of the clearest images to date that I have seen on a camera. Images in the front and back about 30 ft were crystal clear. They said Pan/Tilt was coming out next month. (Basic Pant/Tilt)

Panning range:0-340 deg

Tilting range: 0-90 deg

The price they quoted me for the Pan/Tilt Version was unexpectedly very good.

JVC - TK-WD310U

New 1/3" high resolution pixel device

Built-in innovative 14-bit digital processing

Performs high-speed ExDr (Wide Dynamic Range Correction) with automatic 5-level exposure control for each pixel

480 TV lines of horizontal resolution

Built-in programmable menu with joystick operation

White balance: Automatic (ATW)/one push/manual

Sync system: INT/LL switchable

AGC: ON/OFF switchable

Camera title possible: up to 12 letters

DC/Video iris lens possible

Ultra-compact camera body

24V AC/12V DC power supply

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?feature_id=01&tree=&itempath=null&model_id=MDL101435

JVC - TK-C215V12U

¼ IT CCD with 380,000 effective pixels

540 TV lines of horizontal resolution

Super LoLux™ sensitivity: 1.0 lx (color), 0.6 lx (B&W)

Easy day/night function

Alarm zoom function (TK-C215V12U)

Triple axis rotation system for wide lens adjustment:

horizontal: 350°

vertical: ±80°

rotation: ±175°

Easy focus adjustment

Monitor video output (RCA)

Automatic gain control on/off (max.26 dB)

Auto tracking white balance (ATW) and manual modes 2,300K to 10,000K

Backlight compensation on/off

Sync systems INT/Line lock

AC 24V/DC 12V power supply

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL101613

Gusy we're getting off topic .. i said For Manufacturers, not from Manufacturers .. since no Manufacturer makes the dome I specked ..

Also, True Day Night domes only if you must post .. that means no 540TVL cameras as they are digital day nighters ..

Downloadable schematics, connection details etc. Manuals get lost easily, and schematics are useful for bench repairs (even though many manu's like a throwaway society.....)

A sliding filter (like a built in lenscap) for the ccd so when you take a lens of for some reason, you can just slide down the cover and no dust gets onto the ccd.

Built in test pattern (do recent cams have them?) so you can check quality of connection easily and consistently.

Not looking for a PTZ dome like that, a regular dome ... basically i would buy a Pano if I wanted a PTZ with those features ...

Check out the Mobotix dome, which has an incredible amount of features, no zoom (only a digital).

If you want to find out more about these cameras check out the article about Mobotix on my website: www.videophonie.be

There you can find a detailed article about the M-Series, the D-series have a very similar feature set.

A pan/tilt head is available as an option;

if you just buy 12vdc then you have to run 24vac for the housing and 12vdc for the camera.. i think thats why most of us hate 12vdc cameras because if you mounting it outside in a housing you have to have 2 dif power

Very silly to blow stuff up, How can you be so silly as to not check wot your doing???

Gusy we're getting off topic .. i said For Manufacturers, not from Manufacturers .. since no Manufacturer makes the dome I specked ..

Also, True Day Night domes only if you must post .. that means no 540TVL cameras as they are digital day nighters ..

Rory, this isn't entirely true, though you bring up a good point which is differentiating between Color/Mono and Color/Mono with removeable IR cut filter. You're correct that the HQ1 540TVL sensor system from Sony does perform digital Color/Mono performance, which doesn't actually increase a camera's low light performance. This doesn't stop MANY manufacturers from calling Color/Mono cameras "Day/Night" cameras even though they're actually not.

True Day/Night performance comes from either cameras that have a two sensor system, with one sensor having an IR cut filter and the other without (very rare solution), or the more common solution for the CCTV industry which is a camera that switches from color to mono in low light and ALSO removes the IR cut filter to give the camera low light and IR response. This feature is available with the HQ1 540TVL sensor by some manufacturers, so you can actually have a 540 TVL camera that is true day/night.

As far as your dome specs go, check out the high-level specs on my new DM2/DR2 series plastic and rugged domes. I showed these at ASIS and they should go to beta in Late December, with launches in early February 2007.

-Available in 520TVL (SS2), 540TVL (HQ1) or our new UltraView 3 platforms. The SS2 and HQ1 flavors will be available in color/mono AND a Day/Night version with color/mono AND a removable IR cut filter. I'm also working to make a day/night version of our UltraView 3, but that'll be later in 2007

-All will include a secondary video out that is inside the bubble, so you can tune the camera without having to fish out the the BNC connector that's meant to go to your head unit. An adapter cable that converts this second video out to BNC will be included in the box.

-All will be 24VAC/12VDC power input.

-I have redesigned the plastic dome (DM2) to be the same size as the DR2, which is also the same size as our existing DR series. This means that both new platforms will be backward compatible with most of the existing DR mounts, including the DR-RWM wall mount, the DR-EP and DR-PM pendant mounts, and the DR-OCM and DR-ICM inside/outside corner mounts.

-Both the DR2 and DM2 will have polycarbonate bubbles with a swivalable captive shroud for concealing camera position.

-Both the DR2 and DM2 will have a TRUE 3-Axis gimble

-Both the DR2 and DM2 will come with adapter plates for easy single-gang and double-gang box installation

-UTP versions will be made available in mid Q2 2007

-There are a few other cool features to the camera, but I can't discuss them yet because there are patent applications on these features that are pending.

This release is the culimnation of about 12 months of me asking customers at every opportunity what we could do to improve our GE Security line of plastic and rugged domes.

Look for news on these to come in late December 2006 or early 2007.

Oh one thing I'd like to know is the expected street price of the cameras you spec. Doesn't do me much good to meet your specs if my price is too high. All I ask is that you be reasonable with your price/spec requests. Don't ask me, for example, for the feature list I just provided, in a camera that has a street price of $150, because it just won't happen.

Jason Spielfogel

Worldwide Product Manager - Fixed Cameras

GE Security

Make every camera 24vac, all the installers I know hate 12vdc cameras.

As far as that goes, I agree. I know a lot of the legacy GE cameras are 12 VDC only, but all my NPIs will either come in a universal 12VDC/24VAC, or have separate PNs for a 12VDC and 24VAC flavor, OR will be 12VDC but will ship with a 24VAC to 12VDC converter.

The latter is what I do with our popular MD2-1500 2" mini-dome, because I just can't fit a 24VAC board into the tiny housing. That didn't stop one installer in Texas from tearing off all the converters that we factory install on the units and then run 24VAC into them, then got all upset when they started smoking

One thing to think about is IP cameras. The PoET standard doesn't even allow for AC, so keep that in mind.

Jason Spielfogel

GE Security

As far as that goes, I agree. I know a lot of the legacy GE cameras are 12 VDC only, but all my NPIs will either come in a universal 12VDC/24VAC, or have separate PNs for a 12VDC and 24VAC flavor, OR will be 12VDC but will ship with a 24VAC to 12VDC converter.

The latter is what I do with our popular MD2-1500 2" mini-dome, because I just can't fit a 24VAC board into the tiny housing.

Thats quality.

I prefer dual voltage myself.

If you have a 12vdc cam in a heated houseing you should run power to the housing then a converter to step it down to 12vdc. Which it appears GE is providing on newer 12vdc models, few mfgs do that way cool.

Start using solar to power your cameras. You won't buy 24VAC. Although, I must say flex voltage is cool because then if you have to do a building mounted installation (which we are doing more and more) you can switch from 12VDC to 24VAC power supplies and increase your wire run from the power source without using larger guage wiring.

But yes Rory, finding a camera you speak of will be difficult... have you seen the Samsung SCC-C9302? It comes close a few of your specs, but I don't know if it's exview or not...