R0tten

Camera System: HD-SDI, SD, HD, AHD, 960H, IP, ? ,?

Here's the story. I need 4 camera's and 2 camera's will need to be able to read license plates with PTZ. ~3000ft cable and a NVR/DVR. Obviously all the accessories along with this to make it work. I would be running cable in the ground and am just looking for the lowest maintenance system with the best quality. I personally am pretty tech savvy (not with surveillance systems) but would like to set something up for a friend that requires little to no maintenance. The camera's will need to be high enough quality to view license plates ++2mp or ++600lines.

||My concerns regarding the design:

With Ethernet, an IP address is required, which I believe also requires software and firmware on the camera side. I see this as a potential point of failure? Do you agree? This is mostly my concern about IP based camera's.

Can you tell me, do the COAX camera's have firmware/software running on the camera? I don't think they do?

I am also curious about the quality of digital vs analog?... Coax is analog right?

So would you recommend IP camera's or COAX?

So would you recommend Analog or Digital?

I also don't know what camera type to get HD-SDI, SD, HD, AHD, 960H, IP, ? ,?

Please help!

Analogue standard def cameras are yesterdays technology , there is still a place for high quality B/W analogue cameras purely for their low light performance. So that leaves us with High Def cameras which may be analogue (HD-SDI , HD-TVI , HD-CVI ) or digital (IP). You have correctly identified that IP cameras have their own set of shortcomings like any networked device. In most cases there is no need for the CCTV system to be on a network.

HD-SDI was developed for use within TV studios & not with the intention of CCTV use & so has its own set of problems (mainly cost & cable length). HD-TVI & HD-CVI are pretty much the same animal and was developed specifically for the CCTV industry to run HD cameras over existing coax cable infrastructire. The IP brigade will most likely disagree but HD-CVI & HD-TVI are my preferred technologies. Next year - who knows

Thanks for the feedback. What do you think about AHD?

I am really just thinking about reliability and maintenance....

Reliability really has nothing to do with the technology used. AHD is the newer kid on the block but I dont think it has anything to offer over TVI or CVI

I think HD-TVI or IP is the way I would go, unless someone else can point me otherwise. I know there is a point of failure with software and firmware, but even still I think I will go with IP since your advice is that IP simply isn't necessarily less reliable because of this. I will put IP on the internal network and set the nvr for internet access to limit bandwidth consumption.

Is there someone I (my friends boss) can pay to design a system/layout and then I install it?

Although, I must ask:

What are CCTV (HD-TVI) maintenance/troubleshooting tasks?: (ie, interference, power issues, color issues? etc)

What are IP maintenance/troubleshooting tasks?: (ie, IP conflict, firmare updates, camera reboots? etc)

In term of you description on premise, point is find out a camera able to catch LP day and night time not limited which formate HD camera.

Most HD is fail to catch LP particular in night time, even some big brand you may know. Hope everything will be fine to you.