bentech

PORT FORWARDING problem with new Router

Hi ,

Just installed a new router ASUS RT-AC87U and I'm having a hard time forwarding ports on it.

I have a DVR and an alarm panel connected to the router that need ports forwarding.

It's OK with the alarm panel but not with the DVR.

I use "http:\\canyouseeme.org" web site to see if ports are open but doesn't work with the DVR (works with alarm).

Any idea why ?

PS:See picture in attachement.

2064276400_Portforw.thumb.jpg.255b74d1aa30d65076292a7a0ab227db.jpg

As a precaution against IP conflicts, at the DHCP settings you could reserve the DVR's IP address effectively removing it from the DHCP pool and avoiding potential IP conflicts. I just checked the details of your router on portforward.com and although it's exact model is not listed there is a model with the suffix R which appears about the same and port forwarding on that seems very straightforward.

Assuming you opened the correct ports it may be that the DVR is still not visible from outside the LAN because the ports are blocked or the DVR is not communicating with the Router. I know from bitter experience to go back and check every detail again as sometimes there will be a tiny error we didn't see. Tedious I know but essential that everything is correct, Computers and DVRs don't understand nearly correct...

Another site that (I like) you might like for checking open ports is yougetsignal

For test pur pose, do you need the device connected to the other end when you do port open check with doyouseeme.org or it just check the router settings?

Ok , I thought that the web site was only checking if the ports were open because we only put the port number and not the IP of the device.

Ok , problem found !

On the device that is connected to the switch/router , there is a gateway address that I did not change. (i.e: 192.168.0.1 for 192.168.1.1).

That setting was hidden in the device set-up.

Tks for your help !

Now this is documented someone else may be relieved of the frustration of making the same error (me included)

The lesson here is that changing routers will very often change both deafu7lt Gateway and DHCP range so if you have to change router especially to a different brand name, be aware of the IP range and Gateway address. Less so among routers of the same brand though.

DHCP isn;t always effective unfortunately.

Usually I'll use a PC thats on the network with internet access and open the command prompt

(CMD into the start menu)

type ipconfig

This will give a list of network info of the PC

Take a note of the IP range (The first three sets of digits in the address

ie: 192.168.1.x

Also note the gateway address.

Next choose a unique last number eg: 192.168.1.108

Ping that address using the command prompt

ping 192.168.1.108

If you get a response from that number choose another, if you don't it's free, set the recorder to that address and make sure the gateway matches the gateway address of the PC

Obviously it can be a bit more complex than that with a larger network, but generally it's a sound method that removes the chance for the router to muck it up.

Thats the way I was taught to do it Tony. I think what ahppened here is the guy got a new router perhaps a different brand and the IP range changed and his DVR didn't pick it up.

Are you still working at the same place? (no names mentioned)

Thats the way I was taught to do it Tony. I think what ahppened here is the guy got a new router perhaps a different brand and the IP range changed and his DVR didn't pick it up.

Are you still working at the same place? (no names mentioned)

Yes mate I am, although if I'm honest I'm getting itchy feet. I'm considering trying to find a way to grow my experience a bit in the industry. While I don;t have the funds for going into business for myself I'm considering trying to sign up with an installer in the area. If nothing else the money will be better