Sign in to follow this  
donmc512

What are typical POE power specs/requirements for IP Cameras

I had a Dahua IPC-HFW5302C running off POE on a 600 ft Ethernet run. And yes I'm aware that exceeds the 100m limit. Literally overnight I lost signal on the camera. I have tested the 600ft cable run and it tests good. I have brought the camera back to my house and it tests fine, I have switched to a new IPC-HFW4300S V2 just to see if that solved anything. I'm thinking it is power related. I put a POE tester on the run and it shows 44V, .05 A and 2.4w, The camera spec says it uses up to 6w but does not specify a minimum. I ran the link for about 8 months without a hiccup. I have tried an EnableIT extender but the result is the same. Any ideas....

It's going to vary all over the map. Best thing is to check the datasheet. But it'll be more than 2.4W, even without IR. That's the answer you're resisting.

Maybe you need better cable. ToughCable shielded cable and shielded connectors. And inject silicone grease in those connectors before you terminate, for a gas-tight connection.

What's the AWG of the wire you are using? This makes a massive difference to the line loss.

Cheaper wire I've used has been 26AWG but the 22AWG stuff goes much further. I'd rather invest in thicker wires than shielding to start with.

My wire is 24 awg, direct burial, gel filled. I also re-terminated both ends when I started experiencing problems.

The cable is a bit of a tough issue since it is buried. Is it possible to offset the power loss by going with POE plus??

My wire is 24 awg, direct burial, gel filled. I also re-terminated both ends when I started experiencing problems.

Did you buy the good stuff or copper clad aluminum (CCA) junk?

I hope everyone that is reading this understands this is why you never exceed the spec of 100m (328ft). Unless you are using special converters you will never have a reliable connection.

I would recommend you look at these units from Vigitron: http://www.vigitron.com/101/Vi2300A_Mini_MaxiiCopper_High_Speed_High_Power_Ethernet_Extender_over_UTP.aspx

You can put one unit on either end of your cable and these will power your camera.

The cable is a bit of a tough issue since it is buried. Is it possible to offset the power loss by going with POE plus??

You can over-volt it slightly. Don't go OTT though. Try 10% and see if that works.

POE+ may not help if the problem is line loss. Over a distance, it's voltage drop that causes trouble, not necessarily power. POE+ has more power to provide by supplying more current, but if the line loss is dropping your terminal voltage too low for the camera, pushing more current through will make the problem worse, not better, as the voltage will drop even more, the wires will heat up more, which leads to higher resistance, and so on.