sandman512

New to video surveillance and looking for advice

Good morning. I hope I posted this in the correct forum, if not, if a mod could please move it, I would appreciate it. I am looking to put a camera on my house which would capture the front of the home. At this point, I need only one camera, but ideally would like to expand it in the future. I would like to access the video from a PC, IOS device and Android. My wireless router currently has no open ports, so I assume that wold be an issue. If someone can point in the correct direction, I would appreciate it. I am handy and for the most part(LOL) can do things my self. Thanks much!

Sammy

You may consider to look at PC based video capture card with analog cameras (possibly IR ).

Please dont listen to sunny...he/she must have a bunch of old analog cards to sell...

Get a single IP camera with an sd card slot built in..many hikvision or dahua cameras have this option...you will need to run a since ethernet cable to the camera and by using a poe injector or cheap poe switch you can power and transmit data of a single cable...analog is out, particularity the standard definition analog...you want 720p at the minumum (NOT 700tvl or 960H, which are analog specs and will not provide a good image...) 1080p would be better...there are lots of posts on the forum..start reading the ip/megapixel section.

You may consider to look at PC based video capture card with analog cameras (possibly IR ).

Please dont listen to sunny...he/she must have a bunch of old analog cards to sell...

Get a single IP camera with an sd card slot built in..many hikvision or dahua cameras have this option...you will need to run a since ethernet cable to the camera and by using a poe injector or cheap poe switch you can power and transmit data of a single cable...analog is out, particularity the standard definition analog...you want 720p at the minumum (NOT 700tvl or 960H, which are analog specs and will not provide a good image...) 1080p would be better...there are lots of posts on the forum..start reading the ip/megapixel section.

Thanks much. If you wouldn't mind, any advice on which Hikvision to get along with a POE switch, and all my ports are filled, so I need a switch. While I am handy and can follow directions, not sure on what to purchase or what software is needed. Thanks much!

Thanks much. If you wouldn't mind, any advice on which Hikvision to get along with a POE switch, and all my ports are filled, so I need a switch. While I am handy and can follow directions, not sure on what to purchase or what software is needed. Thanks much!

There are literally hundreds of threads on this and other forums discussing the various hikvision cameras..start reading.