sandman512

Looking to set up a home system, (1) camera for now.

So, need to set up a home system. For now I would like to set up one dome camera with option for more if needed. Need the following:

1) Outdoor

2) Clea Picture and Night Vision

3) Recording capabilities

4) Access from PC, IOS and Android Device

5) Ability to add more cameras if need be.

WHAT I HAVE.

1) Wireless router ***NO available ports**

2) Mac and PC at home

Someone recommended to get Hikvision with SD slot?

If someone can walk me through what I need to purchase and some basic install steps, I think I can handle it. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

I have followed a similar path. I started with one camera - a Hikvision 2132F-IS dome with sd card slot. The ports on my wireless router were also full so I purchased a 8 port Gigabit switch. Everything is now plugged into the switch and I run one cable from that to the wireless router.

I used ivms 4200 client on my laptop for live viewing, and 4500 for viewing on Android phone and iPad.

I don't currently record but am soon going to build a storage server pc for that function.

The Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IS will suit you I think, along with some good quality cat 5e cable. I have 3 cameras now so I added a PoE switch. All works well.

Where are you putting the camera ?

I have followed a similar path. I started with one camera - a Hikvision 2132F-IS dome with sd card slot. The ports on my wireless router were also full so I purchased a 8 port Gigabit switch. Everything is now plugged into the switch and I run one cable from that to the wireless router.

I used ivms 4200 client on my laptop for live viewing, and 4500 for viewing on Android phone and iPad.

I don't currently record but am soon going to build a storage server pc for that function.

The Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IS will suit you I think, along with some good quality cat 5e cable. I have 3 cameras now so I added a PoE switch. All works well.

Where are you putting the camera ?

Thanks for the reply. The camera is going to go under an overhand near my garage and face the street. I live in a court, so I will see any and all vehicles coming.

Ideally, I would like it to have a built in SD card for recording.

The camera I suggested has an in-built sd card slot so you should be good. One thing to mention about this dome camera though. I have mine mounted on my garage soffit, directly above the door and roughly 7 feet from the ground. You need to be careful with the dome because if you have the camera pointed too high you will get problems with IR reflection that will wash out your night image. You cannot point the camera on a horizontal plane. I had to point mine slightly downward from where I originally wanted but it's something I had to spend some time fiddling around with.

This is as high as I can point mine :

https://goo.gl/photos/32KZHY6fw5yKANjV8

32KZHY6fw5yKANjV8