taffdragon

how to watch cctv back ups

hello, ive been asked the police for a copy of my cctv and ive offered to back it up on to a pendrive for them to view. i have 4 cameras and they only want to view on of them.

ive placed a backup of the time period they want onto a pan drive but it wont play on my PC. it offers AVI and H.264 but neither of them play, they just sit there like still images but if i manually move the file forward the picture does change so the info must be there just it wont play as a video.

could anyone help out with some advice please on either converting to another format or software to do the trick. many thanks.

Make sure to include the original file though. In our force all video seized has to be converted to dvd format to play in court, but the original will be kept "as is" and stored so that the defence can inspect it if they want. My advice is to give the file to police exactly as your system recorded it. They should sort the dvd copy.

If they can't do that then you could try a variety of the free video encoders. Windows Live Movie Maker would be a good place to start. It encodes the h.264 files from my cameras ok.

Make sure to include the original file though. In our force all video seized has to be converted to dvd format to play in court, but the original will be kept "as is" and stored so that the defence can inspect it if they want. My advice is to give the file to police exactly as your system recorded it. They should sort the dvd copy.

If they can't do that then you could try a variety of the free video encoders. Windows Live Movie Maker would be a good place to start. It encodes the h.264 files from my cameras ok.

i used windows movie maker and redone the vids and theyre working great now so thanks for that.

is it worth keeping the original if it doesnt play though? ill try and do another back up before it tapes over it just incase something went wrong the first time.

thanks for the advice anyway, most appresiated.

I would keep the original file and give them a copy of that too. Also I would make sure it's kept on your system and not overwritten. Without knowing how serious the matter is it's difficult to advise really . If it goes to court the defence might insist on inspecting the original file. Regardless of whether it plays they might argue that the re-encoded file is not a true copy of the original especially as you have re-encoded it yourself. If the original is not available they could get the whole video evidence kicked out.