PeelPark

D1 vs 900TVL

I'm looking at upgrading my DVR as it will not record at D1 resolution (despite it being an option!)

BUT, I have looked at what cameras I havem and (as I want to fit more), what are available, and I'm a bit confused:

If the DVR is recording at D1 (704x480), why should I splash out on cameras that say they are 900TVL. Surely anything above 480TVL is a waste??!

or am I missing the point?

TVL is a quite confusing term. It shows number of vertical lines discernible on a horizontal TV Line. In other words, TVL is directly related to the contrast along horizontal direction.

Yes, 450 TVL is good for D1 resolution, in theory. The higher TVL could newer/ cheaper/advanced technology/better image processing. But You do not need to throw them away, as long as you like the quality of old cameras.

For analog filed TVL is meaning, 380, 480....700TVL. For digital filed, VGA(480), 720P and 1080P ... Actually, I never know where those 800, 900 and above 1000TVL theory-base from. Anyway, you can try to install camera to your DVR then to see how quality is