Viragoxv

Confused NEWBIE Needs Security Camera Suggestion

Really confused by all the security camera options, so any expert help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

My need is to monitor my driveway from a garage attic window which is about 30 feet from the area I wish to target.

I want day/night (night most important) recording of movement in the area, and would prefer 15 second video, though “rapid fire” stills would be acceptable. While the image quality does not have to “Blue Ray”, I’d like to identify vehicle color type/persons as they pass within range.

I have WIFI available in the area, and would prefer that the camera pass images to my desktop computer for storage. An alternative would be to have storage capabilities within the camera; the maximum time away would be about 4 days.

I have AC power in the area, but batteries would be fine too.

I’d like a 90 degree viewing/recording area if possible.

I have no need to monitor constantly or via smart-phone type device.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions…..Michael

A few thoughts on this:

- You can't use IR through a window, so if you want the cam inside the window, you'll either need an external IR illuminator, or regular lighting, for night use.

- Most night recording with IR is black and white. To get color at night, you'll need white lights, with the cam staying in day mode.

- Many cams can record to a dedicated NVR, a PC, or a network drive, and some can record to an internal SD card. Internal cam recordings can be a pain to manage, but require the least extra gear. PCs have the most flexibility, but need to be on to record all the time.

- Most cams will record with motion detection; how well it works depends on the cam's firmware.

- A 90 degree view will not have a lot of detailed resolution at 30' out. This is a basic trade-off with cams - wide field of view vs detailed resolution.

- For power, you can either use a 12V, 1A to 2A supply, or use POE, which requires a network switch with POE capability.

Hikvision and Dahua are the two most popular brands for mid-range cams, and both make cams that can use SD cards to record to. If it's going to be behind the window, the Hik DS-2CD2432F-IW (W is for wifi) with the 2.8mm lens (86 to 98 degrees per spec) will meet most of your needs, including micro-SD storage and wifi. To get better detail and less field of view, the 4mm lens would be an option.

For an outside cam, you'd be looking at something bigger, as the compact ones mostly don't have SD cards.

Thank you so much for your reply!

I could use less field-of-view for more detail, and I should have clarified that the camera could be mounted outside the window. My ideal situation would to be to have the camera send its images to my desktop.

With these clarifications, is there a make/model you'd suggest? Would I need only buy the camera?

Thanks again!

The easiest would be to get a Hikvision, and use their free iVMS software on the PC. I've never used their software (I use Blue Iris, which costs $60), but there are youtube videos on setting it up.

Good cams to start with are these, which are not wireless. Wired is more reliable, and I have no experience with outdoor wireless cams, but others here can chime in.

Hik DS-2CD2032-I - basic mini bullet, very popular, decent but not great IR range.

Hik DS-2CD2332-I - same cam in a turret form factor, with stronger IR. Better than the 2032 in general, but a little more expensive.

The 4mm lens is a popular size, with good trade-off between detail and coverage. You won't know for sure what will work best for you until you have it.

These are powered with either POE or 12Vdc, and don't come with a power supply. You'll need a power supply with a 5.5mmx 2.1mm plug, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/iMBAPrice%C2%AE-12V-Wall-Power-Adapter/dp/B00GUT7FQ2/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1435866977&sr=8-15

There are a few methods to do this. You can search on "converting ip cam to wireless".

Here's one solution people have recommended; needs USB power, but looks like a wired connection to the device, according to users:

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Dreambox-Network-Printer-Microsoft/dp/B005OIB6XI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435959451&sr=8-1

I've never used these, so you'll have to search a bit unless someone else has a suggestion.

Instead of wireless, you might be able to use powerline adapters, which are more reliable than wireless.

Rather than waste money on wireless or wired adapters, get an NVR and stick it in the garage attic, then connect it to your network with a wireless AP.

Few main advantages

1) More reliable

2) You're not going to be using up your wireless bandwidth as you'll be only using on demand to view NVR recordings or live-view

3) Better range

4) Cheap storage

5) Expand it later when you discover need (from footage) to have an additional camera

However... you could just get a DS-2CD2132F-WIS, a 12V PSU and 64GB card to record to. That would be the easiest and cheapest solution and covers what you need. If it's outdoor, get a 4mm lens. This is an IP66 outdoor cam. DS-2CD2132F-IS(W) Specs here.

get an NVR and stick it in the garage attic

Be sure and check the operating temperature of the nvr, attics can get very hot.