jono80

Dahua NVR - Connecting more cameras to PoE or network port?

Hi All,

We have the Dahua DH-NVR7816, there are 3 IP Cameras connected to the built in PoE switch ports, we need to plug in another 3 IP Cameras at a back office, these IP cameras are connected to a separate PoE switch. To connect the back office IP cameras can I plug the back office PoE switch into one of the PoE ports on the NVR54-16P or do I have to use the network port?

3x IPC --> Separate PoE switch --> NVR54-16P (PoE port) is what I want to do but I'm only seeing one camera when I do this, I didn't have much time to look into it but will try again next week.

I want to use the inbuilt PoE port as an uplink because I can keep the cameras isolated from the rest of the network and leave the network port free for users to connect to for viewing the NVR.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

Dahua NVR's POE ports won;t really work in this fashion. The Units POE port acts as a DHCP server, but it also locates and binds the mac address to the port on the NVR itself meaning it will only see one camera per port

Essentially what will happen is one of two things:

It will either only spot the first camera to be added on the port, the others may be seeable but cannot be added or it will spot all 3 cameras and display them in the same channel like a sequence, constantly flicking between them.

So far the only way round this we've found is to bring the separate poe port back on the main network and add them in using the remote device menu.

Kind of a classic case of the unit trying to be helpful but doing the opposite I'm afraid.

Hi Jonathan

Dahua NVR's POE ports won;t really work in this fashion. The Units POE port acts as a DHCP server, but it also locates and binds the mac address to the port on the NVR itself meaning it will only see one camera per port

Essentially what will happen is one of two things:

It will either only spot the first camera to be added on the port, the others may be seeable but cannot be added or it will spot all 3 cameras and display them in the same channel like a sequence, constantly flicking between them.

So far the only way round this we've found is to bring the separate poe port back on the main network and add them in using the remote device menu.

Kind of a classic case of the unit trying to be helpful but doing the opposite I'm afraid.

Thanks for confirming Tony - I will probably end up bring each camera back on a separate VLAN and using 3x PoE / camera ports into the main switch each with a different camera / VLAN. Not too bothered about switch ports as it's only 3x cameras but yeah shame it's not a bit more flexible.

Thanks again for your response.

Jonathan