Sign in to follow this  
memonics

System for Remote Monitoring 500+ Cameras

Hello all,

We are a new business offering video surveillance and monitoring services to small and medium size businesses. We have designed our custom enclosures, each enclosure contains

1. 4 x 3MP HikVision fixed cameras

2. 1 x 20x HikVision PTZ

3. HikVision 16-channel PVR with built-in POEs and 3 TB hard drive

4. POE Injector for PTZ

5. Strobe lights, siren, PA speaker/Amp

6. IP Stone

7. Wireless bridge/Powerline Adopter to connect one enclosure to another on site

Cameras are set to record 24/7 to the local NVR. We monitor it remotely using iVMS 4200 (no offsite recording). Currently monitoring 3 sites with total 23 cameras but expect to grow rapidly in next few months (could easily go to 300+ cameras within a year) so scalability is a big concern and we would love to get expert/unbiased advice on:

1. If this is a good setup/equipment to grow on?

2. Currently using two dual-processor Quad core Xeon computers each with 32GB RAM, SSD, Nvidia Quadro 4000 with 2GB running iVMS 4200 with two monitors. Obviously, not a good setup for the growth we are expecting. What would be a good server/monitor option?

3. Could like to have better monitor setup, any recommendations?

4. What would be a good still reasonable priced software for the monitoring instead of iVMS 4200. Don’t want to record remotely, only view cameras, handle events, motion detection, analytics, raise alarms, one-way or two-way audio, etc.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Memonics

Hikvision makes great products at affordable prices. With their SmartIP camera line, you can use analytics from AgenVI. The only problem is that you still need a VMS to take care of the notification(this is what I was told at ISC West 2015). Using just Hikvision cameras alone might trigger a lot of false alarms. It seems you are doing your own monitoring, but even that can get expensive by having personnel to monitor 24/7. You will definitely need analytics to cut down on false alarms. From your list it seems you are just doing talk down and not two way audio(you did not list a mic). You might want to add that in the future. Look into other cameras like Mobotix, avigilon, UDP Technology and many others with onboard analytics. There are few choices for Video Central Station Monitoring. The main one I have seen Central Statations using is Sureview. They can monitor different vendors and are well know in video monitoring.

Hi eeproject1,

Yes the requirement so far is only for talk down, but a mic can be easily added.

So far motion detection hasn't been a big issue. We have turned off the motion detection and using the line crossing, there are some false alarms (most at duck and dawn due to the changes in light) but overall we are quite happy.

Yes we are doing our own monitoring, once we grow a bit, then either spend money and create a UL certified center or hand the monitoring to the third party, that it is not in the near future.

I will review SureView, with a quick look, it looks promising. Any idea on the cost?

Any recommendation on the server/monitors?

Thanks again,

Memonics

I have never asked how much Sureview or any other video monitoring software costs. I am thinking they charge you an initial setup, a per channel charge, a per module charge and a yearly upgrade charge. In the long run this would pay for itself. For hardware (server) requirements always talk to the software vendor. They will give you guidelines and will recommend hardware that they have tested. For monitors and control room setup I would talk to Winsted. They will recommend setup and hardware needed for your specifications. I would recommend for you to attend industry conferences like ISC, ASIS and others. You will meet vendors and find out about products that you might need in the future.