Anybody have any experience/input with cheap IR illuminators? for example an IR illuminator with 98 LEDs or 200 LEDs? I prefer a Raytec, but I could buy multiple cheap ones for the same price. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Cheap IR Illuminators use low specification IR Leds.

Don't expect any long life or even a decent half life from cheap IR illuminators.

Do expect to change out cheap IR illuminators often, so keep your ladder nearby...

I prefer Bosch IR illuminators.

Not cheap though...

Trauts14,

How far away from the camera do you want to illuminate and how wide of a FoV?

IR LED count is not a good metric for tracking performance as there is great variation in IR LED performance and application.

I am trying to light up the street. My cams are mounted on the house which is 30' away from the street.I dont have anything closer to the street to mount illuminators on unfortunately.

30' away is not far for even cheap illuminators or those integrated into cameras.

The tri-illuminator that eeproject1 mentions is being sold on Amazon for $15, is self-rated for 50-100 feet, so even if the spec is liberal, you probably should be ok. Alternatively that same company that does the tr-illuminator has quad and six IR illuminators for just slightly more ($20 or $30).

There's certainly a risk that they will fail but they are so relatively inexpensive probably worth going for those.

Thanks for the assistance. The IR illuminator I am looking at uses 12v. Will any 12v wall adter work or do I need to know how many amps the illuminator uses? The product description does not state amperage. I know it uses 18W.

18W at 12V is 1.5A. You'd want more than that, so start with 2A minimum. Typically, you'll want a supply with a 2.1x5.5mm connector, which is the de facto standard.

18W is quite a bit of power for an IR illuminator - are you looking at expensive ones?

Generally, a few high power LEDs will be better than a lot of low power LEDs. I've been running one of these CMVision IR3 illuminators for quite a while now with no problems. It's much brighter than the 48 LED illuminator I used before.

http://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR3-WideAngle-Degree-Illuminator/dp/B008GTAPSO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436921057&sr=8-2

Thanks. Im looking at a CMVision IR9 i believe. It has 9 (i think) large LEDS. 49 dollars on CMVisions amazin page and same price from their corporate webpage.

That sounds about right, then. My CM3, with 3 LEDs draws about 0.4W, I think. That should be a pretty bright illuminator for the price - looking forward to hearing how it works out.

I'd like to see these vendors publishing the actual IR power output, along with the coverage angle.