cctv 536

Hardrives life expectancy

Didn't see a question regarding HDD lifetime/expectancy.......

Is it just me or has hard drives lease on life got reduced BIG time...

Experiencing issues especialy with HIKvision dvr's and NVR's were the hdd either disconnects or just stops working within a year and even less.....

Using sata cables with the metal clip to secure them properly..

Using SV hdd's 1,2,3,4 TB Seagate.....

Thinking of using Westerndigital but not sure..(had 3 melting the power connector green drive's though)

Some input and ideas would be greatly appreciated

I love reading bull sh#t

Not only dvr or PC ..... But forgive me but do both not have fan extraction IE pull air in.

Also warranty is better when installed by supplier.

Didn't see a question regarding HDD lifetime/expectancy.......

Is it just me or has hard drives lease on life got reduced BIG time...

Experiencing issues especialy with HIKvision dvr's and NVR's were the hdd either disconnects or just stops working within a year and even less.....

Using sata cables with the metal clip to secure them properly..

Using SV hdd's 1,2,3,4 TB Seagate.....

Thinking of using Westerndigital but not sure..(had 3 melting the power connector green drive's though)

Hi. Not all hik will run on SV drives ..... You could have speed problems using low power or low speed drives ... Check hik drive compatibility list. I would look at WD over seagate .

But even with the right drive ... It's heat that will take your drive out 9 times out of 10

Good cooling is the main key all air vents clear and good fans

sorry spoke without permission....

No you spoke crap and edited post ........ Hard drive have to be fitted in a dust free enviroment which is not the case

You should open up a 5 year old PC or dvr and look at the dust

You removed your post because common sence hit you .

But you go ahead and turn the post into something else

OWN UP TO YOUR OWN MISTAKES

OWN UP TO BEING NASTY TO NEW MEMBERS

and please DONT PM me again

sorry spoke without permission....

No you spoke crap and edited post ........ Hard drive have to be fitted in a dust free enviroment which is not the case

You should open up a 5 year old PC or dvr and look at the dust

You removed your post because common sence hit you .

But you go ahead and turn the post into something else

OWN UP TO YOUR OWN MISTAKES

OWN UP TO BEING NASTY TO NEW MEMBERS

and please DONT PM me again

I'd appreciate you not putting word in my mouth Ewan

oh and please don't send me PMs with expletive words like ****

I cant imagine what that word is but I don't imagine it was polite.

Listen numb nuts

You posted a hard drive HAS TO BE INSTALLED IN A DUST FREE EVIROMENT

YOU deleted that post but I think many people read it before you deleted in

I was saying that is not right AS hard drive need air as in extraction hence the vents and fan built into dvr or PC .

As far as PM goes I REPLIED TO YOURS

WHY you insist on calling me Ewan ..... ITS TOM

I put that in my reply pm yet you still insist on calling me it

Just carry on numb nuts

HERE IS NUMB NUTS REPLY ..... Again by pm when asked twice not to

Okay you win Ewan, you feel powerful by bullying me, but frankly you are going to miss bullying me because the best way to deal with a bully is to deny them a target. You are going to miss feeling powerful by verbally attacking me, I am not the first you've done this to and I probably won't be the last.

I am leaving for an extended period, because of your constant attacks and that's why I send this as a PM not a public message. I am not seeking popular support, the way you would, nor am I seeking sympathetic opinion the way you DO!. but EWAN I'll WILL be back!

I will be leaving you a legacy though, I was going to explain how you earned the pseudonym "Ewan Kerr" because it irritates you so, well according to your message earlier today it does (no point to' deny it because I won't be reading )

tomcctv wrote:

PLEASE DONT GO NUMB NUTS please stay I will miss all your pointless posts ........ I'll miss keeping track of your company accounts which are also funny to read .

And numb nuts you don't irritate me at all .......... I only said why do you call me Ewan .......read above ....... It was a question .....but here you are again making something out of nothing

So no mark you don't irritate me ...... I just look forward to your nonsense replies to posts ....... HERE ARE SOME OF YOUR HELPFUL POSTS .

and So you thought you'd get on here and we'd do it for you for Free ?

Last edited by Numb-nuts on Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

It's a forum numb nuts ........... People come on for help via questions .........YOU WAS SO HELPFUL

THEN YOU SENT THE POOR GUY A PERSONAL MESSAGE

Have to say that numbnuts is a star in the making and having received this PM I'll probably retire gracefully after just saying it's Auntie Ebenezer actually and if my employer would let me spend the £600 I was quoted then I would have done in a heartbeat but as he wouldn't I was trying to use my initiative to save the company money (after all the instruction manual tells me how to do it so surely that means the end user should be able to do it?) Again I apologise for asking for advice and for starving your children.

Quote from Numbnuts PM:

Hello Uncle Ebeneza

The purpose of this forum is to help one another (and that includes home users) but not to help tight wad businesses put installers out of business by telling them how to avoid our fees. Your contempt is astounding!

The only reason you didn't phone the people that company who quoted you and ask them how to do it was you knew that you'd get a reply involving running, jumping and Lakes.

What a cheek you've got to come on the forum and try and steal the bread out of my children's mouths.

also attached was an image of Ebeneza for good measure!

AND THATS A NEW MEMBER YOU ATTACKED BY PM MESSAGE AFTER HIS FIRST POST

Please don't go numb nuts 75 members have read this post upto now .........if nothing else your putting a smile on there faces " title="Applause" />

I foolishly used the WD green in an early NVR build. Bad choice. They are storage drives only and constant reading and writing kills them.

I've had a pair of WD Red going for three years now.

The WD Purple are designed specifically for surveillance applications

If you are really keen you can go for something like the WD Re which is a data centre drive but they get expensive quickly.