Cadillac Bill

Recomend PTZ Camera that will detect face and zoom in.

I am new to digital cameras, but have a little experience with CCTV. I would like to set up a digital camera, possibly IP, that will detect a face and zoom in enough to identify, and record on my PC Computer. Would also like to be able to access with an iPhone 6.

It would be good to have low light capabilities or IR if possible out to about 100 feet, though most intruders would be within 50 feet, and within that distance I am fairly well lit by a single 400w metal halide fixture.

Wireless would be easiest, and I can reach with my wifi. However I can run wire or cable if needed. I would like to have the system be expandable up to as many as 8 - 10 cameras.

Where do you suggest I start?

Thanks, Bill

I am new to digital cameras, but have a little experience with CCTV. I would like to set up a digital camera, possibly IP, that will detect a face and zoom in enough to identify, and record on my PC Computer. Would also like to be able to access with an iPhone 6.

It would be good to have low light capabilities or IR if possible out to about 100 feet, though most intruders would be within 50 feet, and within that distance I am fairly well lit by a single 400w metal halide fixture.

Wireless would be easiest, and I can reach with my wifi. However I can run wire or cable if needed. I would like to have the system be expandable up to as many as 8 - 10 cameras.

Where do you suggest I start?

Thanks, Bill

If you have the money, the Hikvision DS-2DF8223I-AEL(W) would probably fit your needs.

If you have the money, the (hikvision) you posted looks good. As a new poster, cannot quote your link, but I got it! would probably fit your needs.

This looks good. I can afford it with a bit of a stretch. Researching this camera,

any other cameras someone can recommend?

If you have the money, the (hikvision) you posted looks good. As a new poster, cannot quote your link, but I got it! would probably fit your needs.

This looks good. I can afford it with a bit of a stretch. Researching this camera,

any other cameras someone can recommend?

What are you using this for?

It may make more sense to use a few good fixed cameras that can be had for 100-150.

My neighbor and I have been having a problem with vandalism and theft. We suspect it is someone we know. Also,

On an ongoing basis we want to know who may be coming on the property, or even attempting to enter, so we can, if needed, take legal/criminal action against them. Therefore we need images good enough to identify them and their actions.

Possible entry points include a section of fence about 75 feet long on both sides of the road. Code requirements make it difficult for us to raise the height of this six foot fence. If I could put razor wire at the top, it would be better, but not allowed.

His gate is about 75 feet from my gate. So I am considering PTZ auto tracking.

If there is a less expensive way to meet these goals, this would be desirable.

The Hikvision camera that was listed is not going to detect a face then zoom automatically. The camera does have a "smart tracking" feature where it can detect a person and then start tracking them but I have yet to see it work reliably. The feature you are looking for sounds great on paper but never works well in real life.

The Hikvision camera that was listed is not going to detect a face then zoom automatically. The camera does have a "smart tracking" feature where it can detect a person and then start tracking them but I have yet to see it work reliably. The feature you are looking for sounds great on paper but never works well in real life.

Is there anything that can get me an identifiable image?

Edxqdt80Hm4

I've been researching this camera because I am looking at including one in my setup. My research has been limited to date, because that particular camera is new to the market and there are not a lot of reviews out there about them yet, but from reading the manual (Page 90) it appears to do exactly what the OP wants, in that it will detect a face and smart track in response to face detection.

I don't own one yet, still need to sell the minister for finance on a AUD$2500 camera, and I know that in the past tracking has been a bit hit and miss, but it appears to work pretty well on this camera.

One review I have seen is here.

OP as people have rightly pointed out, that money can buy a lot of fixed cameras too.

If you are protecting a fence line that is 75 feet long (22.5m or so) then four fixed cameras would give you excellent coverage with ID quality along it's length. The downside of that is you need to mount four cameras, run four cables, possibly put up four posts, your field of view is fixed, and your neighbour will need the same on his side of the road.

If you do go the PTZ route I would consider some fixed cameras as well. As a minimum I would get a fixed camera that covers the PTZ camera, with the PTZ set up to turn to the mounting point of the fixed camera on video tamper/loss, just to make it more difficult for either camera to be messed with without getting some video of the offender.

May need to rethink this. The youtube clip would not be good enough for me.

I have some older PTZ Pelco dome cameras and enviro mounts that I can see about getting to work. 23x zoom and b/w in low light. Worked pretty good, but did not have auto tracking. I wonder if there is a controller/dvr that could automate them?

Or maybe just go with multiple fixed cameras?

Edxqdt80Hm4

I've been researching this camera because I am looking at including one in my setup. My research has been limited to date, because that particular camera is new to the market and there are not a lot of reviews out there about them yet, but from reading the manual (Page 90) it appears to do exactly what the OP wants, in that it will detect a face and smart track in response to face detection.

I don't own one yet, still need to sell the minister for finance on a AUD$2500 camera, and I know that in the past tracking has been a bit hit and miss, but it appears to work pretty well on this camera.

One review I have seen is here.

OP as people have rightly pointed out, that money can buy a lot of fixed cameras too.

If you are protecting a fence line that is 75 feet long (22.5m or so) then four fixed cameras would give you excellent coverage with ID quality along it's length. The downside of that is you need to mount four cameras, run four cables, possibly put up four posts, your field of view is fixed, and your neighbour will need the same on his side of the road.

If you do go the PTZ route I would consider some fixed cameras as well. As a minimum I would get a fixed camera that covers the PTZ camera, with the PTZ set up to turn to the mounting point of the fixed camera on video tamper/loss, just to make it more difficult for either camera to be messed with without getting some video of the offender.

The problem with that clip is it's only one event and doesn't show how well the camera works 24/7 and in different weather conditions. Fixed cameras with a PTZ is the best option

The problem with that clip is it's only one event and doesn't show how well the camera works 24/7 and in different weather conditions.

I forget you guys have real weather there in the US sometimes. I never have to consider that my camera's will be working in a blizzard, or against a backdrop of snow.

Edited by Guest

Create a choke point and have a nice somewhat hidden fixed camera to capture it. Or, put up a camera where you can get a great image of the face somewhere. Set something out that you know the theif would be quite interested in, place it right in front of the camera where his face will be captured no matter, where he enters or whatever the situation.

There is a software named Ispyconnect that has an auto tracking feature. It used to be free for the first camera and may be worth a look for your older cameras.

your not going to get the results on a low budget- you need to up the megapixels on the camera maybe 12meg or 15meg and with this you will need to up the lighting and possibly set up redwall ir beams to switch suitable lighting on in the subject area. Once you get the picture of the person you should be able to digitally zoom into the face and since you have 15meg to begin with you should be able to get an id on the face with a decent number of pixels making up the face- dependant on distance., you will also need additional storage capacity for the larger size images being recorded.

anything can be done at a price- almost bordering on James Bond stuff.

cheaper option more cameras closer to subject area as previously indicated.

thought you may be interested in this - direct comparison of analogue versus 5Megapixel at only 17ft- so give you an idea of limitations of what you are trying to achieve.

thought you may be interested in this - direct comparison of analogue versus 5Megapixel at only 17ft- so give you an idea of limitations of what you are trying to achieve.

The guy in the video has no clue at all....... If that's the best he can do at 17t with analog and 5mp he needs to stop buying crap